Barber motorsports museum

I had planned to take my kids to the Birmingham zoo today, but it was rainy. Instead we went to Barbers. The kids enjoyed it better than a zoo. There are probably 600 bikes there. But I didn't see an XS400.

I think I saw two XS models. One was a single cylinder Exciter, with styling nearly identical to my 83 XS400. The other was a 500cc special that looked like a 79ish XS400.

The coolest thing I learned is that triumph and Harley 1950 models looked just like today's cruisers. They really were amazing looking bikes for their day.

Also, the museum overlooks the speedway. We watched racers practicing in the rain. Scary fast bikes in the rain.

When I'm down in Georgia next month for my work training, I'm going to head out there on a Saturday since it's only about 2 hours away. Can't wait!

I went yesterday. Didn't realize how big the collection was. You look at about 3 bikes and then start to get really jealous. They have an awesome amount of Yamaha 2 strokes. The pre-war collection was very impressive as well, more so after you find out that the majority of them are unrestored.

Back