Battery and CDI question

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I know that from time to time the charging system on these bikes can be problematic. How difficult, or realistic, would it be to run a dual mini sealed battery system that you could toggle to the second battery in a pinch. Or, us one battery as a start and run battery and another for the other electronics on the bike. I have been looking at AGM batteries and, while pricey, the seem to be able to be worked into various custom setups.

I hook up a battery tender pigtail to the batteries of all my bikes, and use a little portable solar panel to keep them topped off. The panels I got from Harbor Freight for about $15. I got my first one when I was driving 18 wheelers and after a month or 2 on the road my car's battery would be dead, the panel kept it totally topped off. I don't have a model number, but I still see them down there, they come with a battery tender terminal and a cig lighter plug and alligator clips.

All you need is one battery. If your keeping the e-start make sure it has the same cranking as the stock 12ah battery has.

What's the advantage you see in running two batteries?
I'd stick with Chris's advice. Stay with a single battery that's equivalent or better than the stock CCA and Ah capacity.
I have an AGM on mine. Slightly larger than stock but was the only one I could find that matched the stock Ah rating.

I had read a post about someone losing battery due to a charging system failure. Similarly I was looking at sealed mini batteries and wondered if because of their size you could split up the battery load or even carry a "backup battery" you could go to in the event of a failure. I was just brainstorming "what ifs"...one never knows when a fresh idea might pop up!

All you need is one battery. If your keeping the e-start make sure it has the same cranking as the stock 12ah battery has.
Chris, I have been looking at pictures of your bike. I like that you have used pods on the "H" off the carbs. Where have you hidden the electronics and battery? What is your battery of preference? I will probably be using e-start on the bike.

If you where looking at an old post of my 80sg it had a 1.2ah battery under the seat. the pods where K&N RC -130. I have pics in my albums of some of the different setups for pods I have used. The carbs are off a 76 xs360. The wiring for the bike was a cut down stock harness. I have since put the bike to mostly stock as it makes it much more user friendly and easier to deal with. The wheels, mac mufflers, xs360 carbs and uni pods are the non-stock stuff for the most part for this model now.

5414-1399771148-87c4d5f137cf2388ec7aaae101b77d81.jpg 5508-1403043954-d209e0e824c0a45d674dc6187fb2f11a.jpg DSC03246.JPG First two pics are from 2014 last is now.

If you where looking at an old post of my 80sg it had a 1.2ah battery under the seat. the pods where K&N RC -130. I have pics in my albums of some of the different setups for pods I have used. The carbs are off a 76 xs360. The wiring for the bike was a cut down stock harness. I have since put the bike to mostly stock as it makes it much more user friendly and easier to deal with. The wheels, mac mufflers, xs360 carbs and uni pods are the non-stock stuff for the most part for this model now.

View attachment 29698 View attachment 29699 View attachment 29700 First two pics are from 2014 last is now.
Thanks for the reply. So you have retained the battery box and simply used the pods on opposite sides then? I never considered that. I am torn between using the stock boxes and side covers( or a custom made version of them) and attempting the open look. I am afraid of going too small on battery as the charging systems can be a might fussy it seems. I will probably just stick with that and do my alterations elsewhere. Thanks again, it's nice to have someone there to answer the stupid questions. This is my first attempt at this and I hope I have shot too high. The motor will out in a few minutes and I start all over on bike number 2

The bike will work it's best with stock air boxes and filters. I don't use them because I didn't have any stock air filters left, only the boxes and spent a lot on my other re-build this season. Also I had foolishly cut the stock mounting tabs for the side covers off. Next year I hope to get it all back to stock.

I think I am going to cut some side covers from sheet metal to give it somewhat of a custom look. I am fortunate, I have a complete bike with no title, for parts and it runs, a complete bike with title that will run again, and a frame with title that will likely get the mods done to it frame-wise. I am excited about finally seeing progress where there was none prior except for the promise of many hours and lots of dollars!

Back