big block XS250 (400) Turbocharged

The cranks I have are solid:confused: This is off a 78-E

Last edited:
When I first read this thread I thought it was just gonna fizzle away... am really pleased to be shown as wrong. Cracking job dude, this is awesome! :) Keep it up

Thanks guys.
What's holding me back is rings now.
I need a set of .50 or .25 if anybody has a lead on a reasonably priced set.
The .75 piston and rings proved to be a mirage. He has pistons but no rings

Trial fitted the CX500 tank and its exactly what I wanted, fits like a glove after removing a few tags with room to put the swirlpot, pump and battery beneath it
IMAG0456.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

None of the rest fitted anyway
IMAG0459.jpg

My favorite tank is off the Guzzi Daytona and with a bit of work this tank will get close I think
gc4917038798617032954.jpg

gc5489721345092109789.jpg

GroteFoto-UTAYAI7Y.jpg

Trial fitted the Brembo disc to the front wheel and no dramas

IMAG0461.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

Also found the Acewell unit which came with the Commando so may as well use it on this project
IMAG0462.jpg

Thanks guys.
What's holding me back is rings now.
I need a set of .50 or .25 if anybody has a lead on a reasonably priced set.
The .75 piston and rings proved to be a mirage. He has pistons but no rings

Hey mate your project is awsome:D Hey with your pistons and rings why dont you buy a complete set with everything and maybe flog off the odd bits and peices you have to help pay for them. Here is a guy in ireland selling NOS piston/ring sets in 4th oversize for a reasonable price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-nos-...02?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4ab9de1032

I can vouch for this seller cause I have bought stuff from him, he good posts it heaps quick and is right into bikes (he more an RD man though). Hope this helps...

Hey mate your project is awsome:D Hey with your pistons and rings why dont you buy a complete set with everything and maybe flog off the odd bits and peices you have to help pay for them. Here is a guy in ireland selling NOS piston/ring sets in 4th oversize for a reasonable price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/yamaha-nos-...02?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4ab9de1032

I can vouch for this seller cause I have bought stuff from him, he good posts it heaps quick and is right into bikes (he more an RD man though). Hope this helps...

Purchased and arrived this week along with a NOS set of 0.75 pistons he had as well

Not much progress as work has ramped up recently but dropped the inlet manifold off to be made and picked up a cheap front end off an 08 ZX14 which might come in handy.

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/ZDG3/YAMAHA/XS400/en/index.htm

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/index_en.htm

Cases are split and lucky I did because this was under the splash tray like I feared

IMAG0564.jpg

Otherwise all is well, minimal wear and the gearbox is in good shape. Ill just clean out all the sludge and weld in the return bung for the oil return line from the turbo

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

Next week is assembly time I hope, if I can find time

Timing chain wasn't broken and cam looks ok but the 400 cam that came with the head looks better and I got a NOS chain.
the engine came without cam guides and tensioner and I think someone has tried to start it like that and this has happened.

I have to weld on a dash8 fitting, but I wouldnt use brass??

yeah i was wondering how your going to weld it thats all. i dont know if you do alot of cast welding or not, but it usually just caves in because its so porous when ever any amount of heats put into it or it cracks soon after,especially with aluminum

"Well theres good news and theres bad news" says the old man
The good news is the cases and covers are clean as a whistle............ The bad news is the top case bounced around in the turbo wash and it bent the head studs

IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0599.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

So thats a pain in the ass but hopefully I can pinch some from the DOHC motor.
Luckily nothing else is damaged, lucky I left bolts in most of the mating faces

Barrel is at the machinist with 1.0 oversize pistons.
Next step is to finish the combustion chambers a bit better and match them up, coat the pistons and combustion chambers and re-assemble.

Not far now

Also rims from the second bike have been blasted and are on the way to the powder coater

Back