Bike won't go into neutral

the81cafe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I rode my bike the other day for a few miles after it had been sitting about a month. I was going up my driveway (on an incline) when I stalled it (i thought I was in a different gear). I tried restarting it when I noticed the neutral light wasn't on. I went to put it in neutral and nothing happened. Every position the gear selector was in put the bike in a different gear (the wheels wouldn't move freely as it would if it were in neutral). The oil light was also on as well which it wasn't before. I decided to change the oil and do a little digging around. I drained the oil, took off the oil screen and everything looked normal (little over 2 qts drained). I then took off the right side cover and the chain cover. What i noticed was an immense amount of gunk (oil mixed with road sediment) all inside the chain cover. I took the clutch assembly off as well. The bike wouldn't go into neutral at all throughout this process (I was hoping that tinkering with this stuff may have caused something to move around/ engage). I inspected the oil and all the stuff I took off and didn't find any pieces of metal/ shrapnel that is usually a sign of a chewed gear. I was looking for this shrapnel as an indicator that a gear may be chewed which is why it won't go in neutral.

I have yet to put it back together (that's tomorrow night's project). I was going to fill it with 20w50 diesel oil. My plan was to "hot wire" (cross the starter solenoid lead to the positive battery terminal) the bike with the clutch in hoping to bypass the neutral safety switch. The rear of the bike will be jacked off the ground SAFELY allowing the rear tire to spin freely when I let go of the clutch. I am hoping that by doing the above, I can get it back into neutral.

I know it's a longshot, but has anyone every experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions? I found a complete motor (minus carbs and starter) for $200 that I am contemplating swapping in there. Should I take it to a mechanic and have him look at it before swapping the motor? I have $700 invested in the bike and the cafe conversion and have also considered selling it as is and starting over...

Opinions, thoughts and suggestions all appreciated.
Thanks.

id change rotate the crank main bearing just to be sure, then trade motors but keep the main spark plugs that were first tested.

I've heard of the neutral light going out because of the sensor. Did you check the sensor mechanism. It's a plastic triangle plastic looking thing right above the gear lever.
Sometimes I have to hold the clutch in and roll a little to find neutral. The oil light is always on when the engine is off on my bike.

When my clutch was dying I could not roll backwards with clutch in & gear selected and to find neutral I had to rock back and forth.

New clutch plates & springs fixed it for me.

Good luck mate.

Back