Brake Light Blowing Fuses

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently while riding my my turn signals died out of the blue. I went home and found that the problem actually included the horn and the tail, indicator, and turn signal lights. I blew the fuse on that circuit. When I replaced the fuse I found that the problem occurs when the front or rear brake are applied. By disconnecting the tail light I determined that the problem was not with the brake light circuit, but with the brake sensors themselves. I have looked at the schematic and can't determine what could be causing the fuse to blow every time the brakes are applied. It's a simple open/close switch circuit so there isn't a whole lot of room for error. I suppose it is likely grounding out before the light, causing a short, but I don't know where that could be occurring to affect both sensors. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Allan

Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere. You will have to check the wiring harness from on end to the other to find it. I'd suggest starting at the back and working forward.

Good luck!

I'd be checking the wires under the seat and back to the taillight. Also check the wires in the tail light itself.

Back