Brake line diameter?

Liamrdv

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if theres a standard for brake line inside diameters with Yamaha? I need to buy a length of the cable but theres two diameters to choose from and I was hoping to not have to chop my brake line while I wait for the parts to come in for it since its not detrimental. I tried to find it in my manual but I couldnt seem to find anything?
My bikes an XS400J but im sure it would be pretty well the same for all XS400's, hopefully at least.

I don't know what the originals are, but on every bike I've changed brake lines, I go with custom stainless braided lines with 3mm internal diameter.

Well he did say brake line a few times, and who would be asking about a cable inside diameter? The XS400J had a hydraulic front brake and the SJ had the drum font. There is no need to go oversized on a hydraulic hose. It won't help at all to oversize it and some racers actually prefer a smaller diameter hose for a more solid feel.

I've got an XS400J Maxim, but can't be sure a typo or miscommunication didn't occur. "Cable" and "chopping" got my curiosity. I don't like to guess when brakes are concerned.

One advantage to an oversized hydraulic brake hose is that brake bleeding is much easier. More room for the bubbles in the line to float/migrate up to the master. As you know, flex isn't an issue with a braided stainless steel hose. [emoji6]

You might also say that bleeding would be easier with smaller lines because the bubbles will be more likely to flow out of the line with the fluid.

@Liamrdv What size lines are offered? Are you having them made locally or ordering them online? Stainless braided or regular rubber hose?

Sorry about the improper wording, I meant hose by line and cable, I would be buying a length of stainless steel brake hose, there were two inside diameters to choose from and I meant I didnt want to chop the brake hose off that im currently using to get the inside diameter with a caliper, I have heard although that the smaller hose can feel more solid but as well can cause problems, not too sure how though. I still havent gotten around to it!

@Liamrdv are you going to attempt fabricating your own brake line? I wouldn't recommend it, if that was your plan. There are shops all over, including online, who will properly fabricate a line to your specification for very little money. You can even choose the color.

This is something best left to the pros with the correct tools.

Agreed. Many places make custom brake lines specifically for motorcycles. Give one a call and they should be able to recommend a size. You'll need to give them the length and bango size and angles. They should be able to walk you through it.

Back