brake piston how to remove it

Yea, the Air pressure worked for me 2. I was very fortunate that I had put something (bubble wrap) in the space that disc was, when the piston, came out with a POP, popped a bubble, and sorta came out fast at that point. Cool its all good now!

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a stuck piston - was going to try the grease method but thought i'd give air a shot before gunking it up with grease....took a bit to keep the air on point but it manage to pop it right out (after a couple days of soaking with pb blaster). now just trying to figure out the best way to get it back in....no C clamp on hand so i guess i'll have to go pick one up

If you have to use a c clamp its too tight.You should be able to push it in by hand.Just use some brake fluid and lube it.If you have to put something flat on top of it then use both hands to push it in.

Yea, I am with Scorpio, Its not a car, no need for the C-Clamp. If its not connected to anything, leave the bleed screw off till you get the piston on, did you get a rebuild kit? got fresh o-rings, and all that? Now is a great time to get er clean, Don't spray the brake cleaner stuff into your eyes, good luck

Last edited:
My first one, I had used shipping bubble wrap. hahaha :laugh:

The air pressure finally got it to move, and then with a loud pop, Shotgun style, Ohh that was funny, Luckily it did not fly like it could have.:bike:

I put a piece of wood in the caliper and wrap a rag around it. That way the piston can't come all the way out, and the rag stops brake fluid from spraying everywhere.

Slow down and think about what you are doing. And be safe!

I'm sure glad that all you guys figured this for me befor I got to it. Mine seemed like it was going nowhere. I connected a piece of hose from an air compressor to the bleeder valve and it came right out. And now that I look at it, the seals are probably all that need replacing. The kit with a new piston was $70..... But at least the new one is extra shiny !

As a side note, first I bled all the fluid out and cleaned that top part that held the old brake fluid - didn't fix the problem. So I rebuilt the master cylinder - didn't fix the problem. Then bought a new steel brake hose - that didn't do it either. So I bought the caliper piston kit which I'm working on now. And to add insult to injury, I noticed my new expensive steel hose was leaking right at the swivel end....dealer will replace it, but a month ago I had no idea how the brakes worked or what a master cylinder did. I am really learning more than I ever thought! Kinda fun though....

Back