Cables for Apes?

rodeofan5656

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
im wantin to go for the bobber look on my '81 XS400, with 12-14'' mini apes. but i dont think the cables and brake line will be long enuf to reach that high. i know my dad used kawasaki cables on his Honda 750 when he put apes on his. is there somethin i can do to my XS like that? thanks for your help!

As far as I know, the length that matters (in terms of operation) is how much longer the core is compared to the shielding + ends. So you could use any cable that is long enough for your setup, so long as the core has a similar amount of play to it. I also saw a link on this forum to a how-to for making custom cables with a soldering iron.

what about the front brake line? i use my front brake more than the rear. which hose on mikesxs.com should i use? the descriptions arent very good

motionpro.com. Call them. custom cables to your spec as little as $20 entirely assembled. And I had great experiences with them (shortening my throttle, choke and clutch cable when I switched to clipons and had 8 inches too much length...)

Thanks Bentwrench, you would think living so close to Sacramento and San Francisco i could find a place near by, but everyone keeps saying they cant help. I'll be sure to give them a call today.

They'll likely give you two options. If they currently make straight OEM replacements for your year, just give them the measurements for how much more you need (I used a tailor's measuring tape I had laying around to make sure I got it right.) If they don't, then you can send them your current cables, and they'll make a copy with the additional length.

Good luck!

I called and they want about $75.00 plus shipping for just the throttle and clutch. Not a bad price but still a little higher than i wanted to pay, but it might be my only option at this time.

Hmmm... I thought it was $20 for each cable for simple ones like throttle and clutch. Sorry if I led you wrong. I just checked their website, and you're right, it is actually $35 a cable.

Still, here's the thing. On my first attempt with them, they sent me a cable that was right, and one that was wrong. When I told them, the service was excellent, and they shipped me the right one (to Canada, no less) with no questions asked, and no problems. The cables are higher quality than I could have made myself (I tried, really I did.)

I'm no mechanical dummy, but I tried to make my own, and couldn't. Your results may vary, but for the price, Motion Pro really came through for me.

Well he priced it a few different ways. Very nice people, they are working with me to see other ways i can get the size and length i need without denting my pocket.
Thanks for the lead, i was lost and this has made my build that much easier.
He also said i should at least try to make a set before i purchased from them, he emailed me a little instructions on how to more or less do it, with the diagrams they have on the website. Let you know how it comes out.

Back