Can we get replacement camshafts

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I remember reading a while back that these are difficult to find but are they available anywhere along with the other hardware like cam tensioner and chain?If theres nowhere to buy them is there a place that can regrind them back to spec?Oh this is probaly a dumb ? but will the xs650 cam work?

Man you guys are fricken awesome Thanks for answering my question so promtly.I figured I have to way days but I got an i mediate responce nothing.This is what I love about this site all the help a person can get.Has this question been asked before I cant rember I suffer cant remember crap syndrome..:laugh::thumbsup:

I guess its time to get these out and start yanking teeth just I can get answer Its not like I asked a multiple repeated question about carb jetting that gets asked 10 times a week on here.2 simple questions about cam replacement is all.wtf:

Attachments

• wolf_tooth_forcep.gif
    wolf_tooth_forcep.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 169
considering the part is "obsolete" I imagine it would be extremely difficult to find and answer your question thoroughly. As I'm sure you know and have tried, the best chances are probably our classified and ebay. Wish I could help you out more.

Well I know a place that has several engines Im going to save up and find the best looking one I can just so I have the extra parts.Or Im going to sell a 4wd project jimmy I have and buy a bike that I know I can get parts for easily.I thought be an 81 bike it wouldnt be that difficult.I running into the thing as I did with my 74 enduro obsolete parts.This bike is beginning to be too much hassel.Dont be surprised if I decide to to part it out on our classifieds.This bike has been nothing but wallet beaker.Im ready to graduate to something better anyways.

Thankyou Max ium for answering my question:)

I don't know about available parts, but a 650 cam wouldn't work because the cylinders are phased differently. I've never taken apart the internals, so I can't say if parts like the tensioner interchange or not.

Check out boats.net. They will tell you if parts are obsolete or not, plus show you other bikes with the same part. I just checked and looks like the sprocket is obsolete and the chain is $50. You can also copy the part number and do a search online. Might get lucky and find someone who has whatever you're looking for.

It's always a little sad to hear someone making that decision, but there are various limitations for every project. Not finding any parts is a big one. :)

The cam chain and sprocket are available (at least here in Germany). The tensioners are not available anymore. We sometimes think of rebuilding them.

The last time I had my bike started I could definately hear a noise from the cam chain or in that vacinity of the engine.Hard to say what it is forsure without digging into the engine but its cheaper to find a used engine than find the parts.I dont even want to go there.If the parts were more readily available I would consider it and I would definately keep my bike if it wasnt such a pain in the butt.Even if I could get the parts I dont have the neccasary tools nor am I setup to do an engine rebuild.

Back