Weird random tick in engine, cam chain?

Sounds like a sealed exhaust system will likely cure the ticking, however, on the off chance that it is still there (and now more noticeable since you'll have a quiet exhaust), many years ago I had the same symptoms in a car engine. Smooth and quiet when cold and for quite a while until it ran at full operating temperature for a few minutes. Then, tick - tick - tick.

If you pulled over and let it cool, it would stop and be fine until it had gone down the highway at full operating temperature. I was thinking valve job, connecting rod, rings or the like were in my future.

Turns out that one of the little holes that allows oil to drip down onto one of the tappets or rocker arms was partially plugged and couldn't supply enough oil to one of those. There was enough oil when it was cold and warming up, but after it got fully warmed up and on the highway, tick - tick - tick.

A $4 can of engine flush, running it 10 minutes and then changing the oil and filter immediately thereafter completely cured it and it went on flawlessly for another 100 k miles. Wish everything were that simple.

I guess I might have had a ticking too. Will post more and the apparent reason. My reason seem to be valves adjusters came out. good luck, I hope your problem is not like mine. Later
Tobie

Thanks for the input Lou--that does make sense, but I don’t believe that is the problem. I thought valves or lube too at first. It's just the completely random nature of the sound ( it has no rhythm, and is literally a “tick” then nothing for minutes, then “tick” then seconds, etc with no predictable pattern)… and the fact that it happens at all temperatures confused me. That is what got me thinking cam chain or guide/tensioner, as that would be any temperature, and could be more random if it was just beginning to fail.

I may do what you suggest though, just because it’s an old bike, and I’m sure it could use a cleaning—want to keep that oil flowing!

At this point I do think it is the exhaust, or at least it is the most likely cause from what I have seen this far. It's the only thing that is clearly "broken", as everything else has checked out.

I am working on scraping together enough $ for the exhaust system (tight budget, and wasn’t planning on this). I'll post results when I get it together and running...

I’m still interested in talking with anyone who has come up with 2 x 2 system that is aftermarket pipes and muffler that doesn't require any carb work (at least re jetting, OK with balance and air/fuel adjust). It would be a relief to know there is one out there, but so far I don't know of the effects of the systems mentioned. May just have to go for it and see what happens!

Is there any concern about using exhaust pipe stock (meaning off the shelf, no inner wall) and an aftermarket muffler/silencer from Mike’s XS or somewhere to build the system? I just don’t want to create a situation where I am inventing a balanced system. Just want to ride this thing…

Anyone?

Thanks...

Do NOT use an engine flush product! None of them are designed to be used on motorcycles with wet clutches. There is a good possibility that the solvents in the flush will attack the adhesives holding the friction material to the plates in the clutch. And, with the frequent oil change intervals on bikes, there is less likelihood of sludge buildup inside the engine.

Single walled exhaust pipe will work just fine. It will be loud, and will flow better than the stock pipe, so rejetting will be required.

OK no engine flush then--thanks 16VGTIDave. Just keep changing oil every 1000 or so.

Any idea where to start size-wise with rejet? ... in case I go that route and need to to do it?

I'm not so sure that they're correct. I've never heard of anything fitting both a xs650 and xs400 without modification really. Plus it doesn't specify which xs400 it would fit, I don't think the DOHC and SOHC exhausts are interchangeable either. And putting in that the oil filter is easily accessible is quite questionable as well.

If nobody here has experience with it and you want to buy it anyways, I'd definitely contact the sellers and make sure that they guarantee it fits, and if it doesn't you can send it back and you'll be reimbursed and your expenses covered or something.

Emailed the supplier. They say this is a stock replacement exhaust system that most of the time will not need rejetting." I agree with everyone's assessment and don't want to take the risk of getting the parts only to find out I have to rejet at least, or have a problem with the oil filter, etc. I can return it, if it wasn't installed , so catch 22 there. I guess its looking like I'll be building a new exhaust.

OK, so any pointers, or anyone have a set up they can or are willing to pass on? Like I said, I don't really want to buy a fist full of jets and spend days figuring out what the right set up is.

I'm likely going 1 1/2" OD pipe stock, meaning no inner wall, 1/16 sidewall, sleeved to fit the head, and with an ID of approx. 1 3/8", so larger than stock, only because that's what's available. I can get mufflers from nearly everywhere that will fit, but aside from a straight look (no trumpet, cone, etc,) not sure what I should run that will work with the way the bike is tuned---stock, except for the pipes, and necessary rejetting to accommodate the pipes.

Comments?

What I meant is this is my current thinking--if someone has good reason why this plan isn't good let me know. I'm a bit concerned with the 1/16" thickness of the wall. Seems thin right off the head, given how hot these can run. Thanks for the input guys...

I'm all for building your own stuff and unfortunately I don't know about specifics on wall thicknesses. But have you checked out other exhaust systems that do fit the xs400 that are for sale these days? Say, a mac 2 into 1 or something?

Also I would suggest IF you decide building a new setup, that you weld the new pipes onto the stock heads. I've read that makes life much, much easier when mounting the new system and prevents lots of troubles with leaks at the head.

OK—so I have done more research than I ever thought I would on motorcycle exhausts, and I have more to go. The short answer, and some of you probably already know this, is there is nearly a zero chance that I will find an off-the-shelf exhaust system that will fit and not require rejetting. The tech at Mikes XS says “You are going to be looking for a long time for a replacement exhaust that does not require rejetting” and that there is no way to know if a replacement system will work without rejetting, except to buy it, install it, and try it.

So, if I am going to have to rejet, I may as well build a system I like the looks of.

Willem, you have confirmed something I was thinking about, reusing a portion of the head pipe to increase chances of a good seal. I was thinking of trying to get the connection out of the existing pipe then sliding it into the new pipe and welding it, so that connection is the only remaining piece of the old system. The old pipes are shot. But are you suggesting I cut the pipe and weld it onto the new? Let me know…

Regardless my next step is to figure out how to increase my chances of success with rejetting, so I don’t have to play jet roulette. I’ll let you know how that research goes…

Send thoughts and feedback—it’s really helpful getting your guys opinion.

Thanks Lou Ranger--this is interesting and I will look into it...

16VGTIDave, not sure if you're paying attn to this thread anymore, but couldn't help but notice that thread was started by you--any input on this? Do you know of anyone who has tried it on the 400 yet? I see it's only been a few days really since it was posted...

Yea, I’m thinking about it… though not excited about being a guinea pig 
First glance they don’t seem to have a kit set up specifically for the XS 400. “2 stroke twins 250 cc & up including R, RD, RZ series” is all I can find. I think you have to call and talk with them to get the kit set up for our bike…

I’ll let you know what I find out…

looks to me like DJ-113 should work. it's listed as "All 4 stroke twins" that should include the 400 i would think.... looks like $160 with accesories and it's yours! I'd love to see if it works too... ;)

Guinea pig? Not so much. I was more interested in getting feedback and personal experiences with the Dial-A-Jet product. One brief exposure to them isn't enough for me, even if it was a positive experience.

The kit for our bikes isn't cheap (neither is the $40 shipping to Canada!), until one considers the time involved in getting carbs jetted correctly. And gaining the ability to make jetting adjustments with just a flat-blade screwdriver is almost priceless. I would also recommend getting the snorkel kit as well to prevent dust and dirt from contaminating the DAJ's.

Keep in mind that the DAJ only works from about 1/2 throttle and above, so the pilot jets and pilot screws would still need to be correctly sized and adjusted.

Back