Canadian Looking for Headlight/Turn light conversion

BurntTimber

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Because getting the right parts in Canada can be a PITFA, thought I'd try to reach out to my Canucklehead cohorts for some parts hunt advice.

Specifically, I'm finishing a restoration of a '79 XS400, and am concerned about the headlight brightness, and am also having relay issues with the turn signal as they're just staying on when I turn on the blinker (completely stock lighting/ignition setup currently).

I'm going for as clean and OEM a look as possible.

So, any advice on where to get the following (in Canada):
  1. HID conversion or replacement headlight recommendation (bright but stock colouring)
  2. Recommendations for driving lights/mounts
  3. Relay to convert signal bulbs from stock to LED
  4. Recommended bulbs for stock signal housing
  5. Relay for tail light (am changing the stock tail light to an Emgo
  6. Relay for changing tail light to LED bulb?

Being a fellow Canadian I can attest that it is a PITA to get parts north of the boarder. Though in my experience it is more of a pain in the wallet with the lower dollar, shipping, duties etc.

That said, most websites (with the exception of a few such as Mikes XS) will gladly ship to Canada.

Things like Signal Relays for LEDs can be bought at Canadian Tire. HID Kits are aplenty on ebay probably ebay.ca as well. I don't think you need a relay for LED Tails.

In my experience, the best thing to do is find a local shop that works on old bikes and bring them a case of beer. In my experience, if you get along they will gladly order small nick-nack parts for you and they save a lot with shipping and the like.

Here is what I did to mine:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=149146#post149146

Keep in mind that I'm cheap and am more likely to tinker with what I have lying around than I am to spend money. Also, I did not change over to led indicators, instrument or tail lights, they are the stock bulbs. I just wanted to see if I could jam a bi-xenon into a stock headlight bucket / lens / reflector.

Back