Candlepower conversion is a no-go

was just looking at that one after measuring my current light too a minute ago.
My current light is 15mm wide and 33mm long. About to lookup the specs of that light.
Looks like it'll work since its standard 15mm wide too :).

1157-R19W6_mm.gif

Just an FYI... getting further...
Just thought I'd post a pic and description of whats done so far to help others (Remember mine is a 1978 where the Adjustment Tab on the Candlepower reflector does not match up, hence the work below to remove it and weld on the old one):

14262347457_8b99272d83_b.jpg

1. Used a Dremel EZ-LOCK metal cut-off Wheel to cut off old Adjustment Tab on old headlight. Save the tab for later.

2. Used Dremel stone? Sander attachment to quickly take off the rust and make that tab more flatter (a few dots of metal/welds stick out slightly and have to be flattened).

3. Used a Dremel EZ-LOCK metal cut-off Wheel to cut off an extra large metal tab on the bottom of the pic that wasted space (right side of headlight). Its a tight fit into the headlight bucket with the new Candlepower unit since its 'wider', and want to get rid of this useless tab which just pushed against my electrics/wires in the bucket.

4. Used a Dremel EZ-LOCK metal cut-off Wheel to cut off a very small metal tab on the top of the pic that wasted space (left side of Candlepower unit). I cut this off and smoothed that area off with a stone sander so the Adjustment Tab can be placed here.

5. Used Sandpaper and a Razor Blade to rough off the edges of both the newly flattened (and therefore smoothed) Adjustment Tab and that area of the CandlePower unit. (so JB Weld can get a better grip like recommended).

6. Used JB-Weld to put on the Adjustment Tab off the old headlight onto the new headlight. Couldn't really get a good clamp on the headlight so just used plastic gloves and pressed down hard for a few minutes. Then put the heavy weight of the clamps on top and used Heat Gun to heat it up for a few minutes (think i read JB-Weld cures faster if use Blowdryer or Heat gun on it). Will wait 24hrs then hook up electronics (Got a matching H4 connector from Pep Boys).

I remember people mentioning how this unit is slighter smaller (like it screws in perfect but looking at the headlight from the outside, you notice a larger open/empty space around the reflector. Did you guys pry off the outer chrome? ring off the old reflector/sealed bulb and put it on the CandlePower? or just live with it? Curious how I can make it look better.

If anyone interested, here is the connections I made to get this to work:

Do I need to use the rubber part that came with the CandlePower unit,
which is in the video at 2m01s.
Its a tough fit and possible. But would prefer to not use it as I'm really pushing the headlight in already to make it fit.

Cool, it was a tough fit with the new Candlepower and that rubber, but i made it work by carefully pushing all wires to the side (especially the big connections).

Working great so far.

Back