Can't open the clutch - Everything seems to be in perfect condition

elShabazz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
(Preface) I've had this bike for over two years now. I'm in the process of putting it all back together after I had the engine apart for about a year. It ran and worked just fine before, and I'm using all the same parts

When I pull the clutch lever, it doesn't open the friction plates, they budge a tiny bit, but hardly noticeable. There's pretty much no resistance pulling the lever, and it doesn't snap back into place. I've verified that the ball bearing is in place, and I've screwed the adjusting screw on the clutch cover pretty much as far as it can go.

I took apart the clutch, freed all the plates from each other, and torqued the bolts holding them in. I looked through the manual, and I have all the parts I need already in there. Nothing is missing.

The retention spring is good as far as I can tell, and the cable has been lubed. Inside the clutch cover, the cable just doesn't seem to travel very far.

I took some videos so y'all can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm all gassed on ideas for this one.

I took these on my phone, at night, so apologies for the quality.

Just a side note - each time the clutch lever goes back into place, it's because I'm putting it back, it's just offscreen.

Actually - I'm a fuckin' moron. I re-read my haynes manual again and I'm 84% sure I'm missing the 5/16 ball bearing thats on the clutch side of the push rod. Will update tomorrow after I check if it's there/buy another one from home depot.

Sounds like your missing the ball. Make sure your adjusting the cable at the cover first before the handle.

remember there is two of them. One not listed on the diagram, on the 1/4 turn plunger on the left side, then the right side, under the clutch plates. Behind the T shape pusher. (easy to lose) I know I had my clutch rod in backwards when I was trying to solve an issue. with that system.

Yup...Was missing the bearing on the clutch side. Put one in and it worked like a dream. Rode for the first time in 14 months. Thanks for your input guys.

Back