Carb identification

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I began renewal/ removal of items from another 1980 G that I own today. I came down to the carburetor removal and noticed some differences between the other bike and this. The bowl drains are completely different ( I am assuming that's what the side screws are on the bowls). Should I be concerned about this or is it merely a variation in design?

Attachments

• carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
  • carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 148
  • carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 152
  • carb4.jpg
    carb4.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 120
  • carb5.jpg
    carb5.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Same way the carbs are on both of the sets I have. I have seen the other bowls you are talking about but not sure why the change or when. I think your good to clean them up as they look like they need a good cleaning.

Same way the carbs are on both of the sets I have. I have seen the other bowls you are talking about but not sure why the change or when. I think your good to clean them up as they look like they need a good cleaning.
Oh, they will be cleaned for sure! This bike is in a little rougher shape than the other one. Two of the allen head bolts on the clutch cover have been stripped out. I need to PB Blast'em and hope I can catch something as they are recessed and vise-grips are worthless here. This bike is basically scrap as there is no title and there is rust damage in a spot on the frame. I am salvaging what I can for frame tubes/pipes that might be useful for mods down the road. All other components will be cleaned and renewed and assemble in another frame I own which has a title. Two projects on the board...hopefully one will be completed this summer!

Those are off a 81 sohc xs400. They will have the plastic floats in them which you need to set at 22mm instead of the 26mm for the brass ones. Make sure to replace all the o-rings and seals when you rebuild them.

Last edited:
Those are off a 81 sohc xs400. They will have the plastic floats in them which you need to set at 32mm instead of the 26mm for the brass ones. Make sure to replace all the o-rings and seals when you rebuild them.
Thanks xschris, I knew if anyone would know what was going on, it would be you! Great to know that I had things to watch out for.This is a side project while I wait for my rings to get here for the other bike, kind of a back burner project. Eventually I will be doing a similar top end build on this bike too. And transfer parts onto a titled frame I have.

Those are off a 81 sohc xs400. They will have the plastic floats in them which you need to set at 32mm instead of the 26mm for the brass ones. Make sure to replace all the o-rings and seals when you rebuild them.

I had the same looking carbs on my 81 and the floats were brass ? maybe someone swapped them out ?

With these old of bikes anything is possible. I have switched a few sets myself.

Back