1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Carbeurtor Butterfly shaft mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigMacDouble, Feb 21, 2021 at 6:05 PM.

1. BigMacDouble

BigMacDouble XS400 Enthusiast

Hey there ,

I’m going back and working on these carbs. They’re for a 650 but I have the brackets for the 400. Only issue is the shafts need to move about 6 -8mm . I think I’ve got 3 options to get these to work.

1. cut away these red areas . Only issue is the piece may not be strong enough and will snap . This also might not be able to give me enough room. ED6015E8-9F4F-485F-87B0-139D0E04064D.jpeg

2. Drill and tap new holes where the dots are and cut away the rest in red . There’s an “elbow where the tapped one would be so I’m worried that would cause issues . Not to mention how fine the threads are. 7B4020D7-F3DB-482D-B231-D94E295EB545.jpeg

3. Cut the shaft and washer and then reattached the “L” piece . I’m worried this will be the hardest. Does anyone know how these are attached ? Brazed ? Or peened? 1E0EF825-DACC-45E8-A14C-AFED7026801C.jpeg

2. amc49

amc49 XS400 Addict

It may be easier to adapt at the other end of the cable and leave that alone. Use 650 cable and maybe even hand throttle assembly.

3. amc49

amc49 XS400 Addict

The linkage end plate is peened on, the dent in the center of it does it. Grind the protrusion to dead flat and the plate will peel off the shaft, it can be heli-arced carefully back on. With the shaft removed from carb of course. I've re-peened them before as well.

You will likely not find the screw thread tap for those super fine threads, commonly they are machine tool supply available only as the public never uses them and they cost megabucks since they are unobtanium.