CB175 Tank

elvisrock

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So today I got a Honda CB175 tank. I've liked the idea for a while now after seeing CadXS' thread and more recently Jray's, so couldn't believe my luck getting one for £20.

Question is, I'm not sure if i should channel the tank so that it sits a little lower on the frame a little or basically fit it where it is and have a thicker seat to compensate the height difference?

And could I get away with using the petcock off the CB tank?

I still have to fix the plastic rear fender in place at the back but want to tuck it about another 2 inches in under the seat brace, so its just duct taped in place for now.

Attachments

• P8180380.jpg
    P8180380.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
i say make some mounts and run it like that. that tank is bad ass. thinker seat to compensate. maybe seal off the rear mount area on the rank where its all open.
we should start a thread for tanks that fit our backbone and actually look good. cuz this is at the top of mine so far

Thanks mate. I like it a lot and they don't seem to come up for sale often so I was really pleased, got a rush on cos I spotted it on the stall when I was sat in the car waiting to get into the car park. I also got some Aluminium for the set base but that on hold until I get the tank sorted. I'm still thinking I might try and channel it in a little maybe just an inch or so to hide the 2 top tubes but keep enough space to attach the coils to the upper tube under the tank because it has loads of space under there.

Good idea about starting a tank thread, I'll happily add more photos when the tank is fitted. I also like the DT175 tanks.

Last edited:
Hey! I actually think I have the same gastank than you Mr! Would be really happy
If you look at my thread and compared :) I got mine in a box when I bought my xs!

i have a DT125 tank and DAMN would it look good. but takes too much modifying to mess with it for me. maybe on my next build. who knows. maybe have it mounted at the neck and by the seat, let it rest on the side backbones, with a little rubber piece to cut down on vibration?

When I tried to ride with that gastank it ran very bad, but I think that was
because it was rusty like hell ! I've been working on cleaning it up for a couple
Of days!
If everything goes the way I plan its all dryed up tomorrow and ready for a test!

Mine is hammered out to fit the frame, don't recommend that way, it's about 8l
When it's all filled up!

Cheers

Hi guys. So, I have cut off the coil mountings and will relocate them under the tank on the upper tube as there is a fair bit of room still under there. I had to heat and bend the vacuum fuel pipe tubes(if that's what you call them?) on both side of the tank but one has split because of rust, I'll try and oxy repair it when I'm at work. The tank is sitting where I want it now but I need to fabricate a new set of brackets for the front and back to mount it and do like Volcomskater said and use some rubber to cut down vibrations.:thumbsup:
How did you get on with your tank Foxsake?

Attachments

• P8210383.jpg
    P8210383.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 196
It didn't go well! So I'm gonna try a sealingkit I've orded! It's a kit that removes
The rust, stabilize the flora and seals it up with new inside! Hope that's gonna work
Better, I'm probably gonna get it in like a week or so! I can post some pics on how I
Made the tankclips!

Back