Center Stand Question

faze

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you with early bikes with center stands, could someone post a pic of what theirs looks like? Mine looks like a death hazard, and I want to sanity check to see if something was changed from stock. Thanks!

I just stole this photo from ebay, but this is what a late 70's center stand looks like for an SOHC.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 72
How about you post a picture of what you have and I tell you if there is something wrong with it? :shrug:

Okay, mine is definitely effed up. I wonder if it broke off, maybe in a minor lowside or something, and then got welded on backwards or something. It's just hard to fathom. The pictures here don't give very good perspective, but the bottom of the center stand arm is about 2 inches off the ground with the bike on the side stand. Definitely a crash hazard, but I was planning to delete it anyways.

Attachments

• 20140323_213812.jpg
    20140323_213812.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20140323_215029.jpg
    20140323_215029.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 91
Maybe because of the 2-1 exhaust you have someone tried to keep it but was still in the way:confused: Get rid of it but you can still put it on and use it for rear wheel/swing arm work when you need to. That's what I do with my 80.

It looks bent. It could definitely be bent back if so. I can't see if it was welded like that. Definitely take it off and replace or fix it. They aren't that expensive on ebay; maybe $20 shipped or so.

I also just use mine for service work; it doesn't stay on the bike normally, but is still very useful.

Thanks for the input guys. I am just going to remove it, and probably pick up a cheap swing arm stand. I have some nice Pit Bull stands for my R1, but I don't think I need something that fancy for this! As for the chain, that will probably be replaced before I ever ride it, willem. It's been too cold in Michigan to wash it, and I got it off of a guy that hadn't really touched it in 12-13 years. I'll do a thorough cleaning once it is warm enough, and get a better sense of the condition of things, but I doubt the chain will be kept.

I bent the center stand up by hand, but I ended up creasing the metal. It's going to need to be junked for sure, now, but I was able to put it up on the center stand. I was considering getting a rear stand, but I am not sure if that would work given the position of the one-sided exhaust. Hrm.

Just throw the bent center stand on when you need it. I don't even tighten the bolts on or use the spring when I put mine on. The stand pops in and I attach the bolts and nuts finger tight; done. Takes about 20 seconds.

Back