charging sys.

Willeboy! Congrats. That means the wiring returning to battery ground is broken someplace I think.

Check the black wire leaving the coil for any tiny cracks. If you find any, clean and seal them up, or replace the wire.

Then find out if the connections are having problems anyplace due to lack of ground. I cleaned all mine.

You might have a coil that is shorting to itself due to metal fragments or damage. Did you get a good look at it when you had it out? I'd inspect it really well before moving on , because brother, you're almost there!

I wonder if someone modded your wiring to read the volts off another wire...it's written up on xs650. Can you post the pics for us? Take a few pics, upload to your album, and then paste the bb code on the album page into the post and it shows as the pic instead of a link.

Good gremlin hunting! Congrats!

Drewcifer

ok now I am over charging @ 3000 rpm voltage keeps climbing and @ 16 volts I went back to idle volts drop to around 13.4
I wired in the r292 reg the way drew show in his write up and it dont charge @ all not grounding field coil and if I try to ground with the connector pluged in is like touching power to ground and kicks breaker on power probe but if I pull ground wire from regulator connector and add ground from battery I get full charge :)
I connecteced old regulator and grounded ground wire to field coil I get full charge (bad regulator) I reconnected r292 but keep moving wires to different spots, meaning different color wires to dif. color wires until wow it is charging. I soldered wires but battery was getting low and It was late so charged battery over night and today cleaned up some connecters and added extra ground from battery to frame.
thinking all was good. bike started right up and @ idle looked great so I idled up to, like I said 3000 rpm and volts keep climbing reg must be giving full ground to field coil.
Long story short LOL is that reg r292 a groung control reg or power control reg?
because looking @ wiring diag. I need ground controled one...
thanks all :)

It's the r 292 for a pre 79 bike or a vr 125 for post 1979. That was in the posts I did. The r-292 is for a pre 79 bike. Reattach the brass tabs, put the socket back on, and return it. it costs more than the vr125 anyway!

The vr 125 (used to be aka vr 295) writeup is on xs 650 here.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=9306&page=1

I advise anyone following a write up to make sure they're working on the same YEAR OR MODEL as the write up. We'd have saved you a day, the good news is that is an easily found/bought vr. So you'll be up today if you wanna be.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Drew

It's the r 292 for a pre 79 bike or a vr 125 for post 1979. That was in the posts I did. The r-292 is for a pre 79 bike. Reattach the brass tabs, put the socket back on, and return it. it costs more than the vr125 anyway!

The vr 125 (used to be aka vr 295) writeup is on xs 650 here.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=9306&page=1

I advise anyone following a write up to make sure they're working on the same YEAR OR MODEL as the write up. We'd have saved you a day, the good news is that is an easily found/bought vr. So you'll be up today if you wanna be.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Drew

Hi Drew No hard feelings at all LOL! :shrug:
It was my bad for not reading all your post.
after my testing I figured it was going to be someting like this.
I really thank you and all who responed to my post and going to call around to see if i can find dif. reg :thumbsup:
ty,

Hi Drew No hard feelings at all LOL! :shrug:
It was my bad for not reading all your post.
after my testing I figured it was going to be someting like this.
I really thank you and all who responed to my post and going to call around to see if i can find dif. reg :thumbsup:
ty,

oh yea if i cant find that reg. today is there another that will work from napa or o'reilly?
and is there a wiring diag. for the new reg? :bike:

yeah, that link is for YOUR year and model.

they will have that regulator. I went to Oreilly. Those two are instock everywhere. Check the online inventory of your nearest store or call them. I know they'll have it.

PS, if you can avoid it, try not to go as high as 16 volts because it will evaporate the fluid in your battery and once it dries it loses capacity. The distilled water in the battery should keep the plates submerged to keep them from sulfating.

I'm excited you'll be getting "VOLTS!" as we say in our motorcycle family. instead of "good luck" we say "Good Volts!" when gremlin hunting.

Hey Drew,
so I made it to o'reilly and they didnt show that exactly same part number but they say it crosses over, same thing, its a BWD SELECT part # R296 um it looks the same,
guess I will go try it :bike:

yeah the r 296 works fine I think...

yep, that's the one! Did you try grounding your Green wire? I guess you need to apply it to the negative terminal for it to bypass the voltage reg...I think you already got past that point so I'm hoping you're fixed tonight!

Keep us posted and don't forget to close the thread when it's solved so others know the resolution if they share the problem...

Hi all will I am up and running now. the voltage is fluctuating more than i would like to see. When I first got the r296 wired in and grounded, I held rpm between 3 and 4 thou
the volts continued to climb to about 15.5 V. and held there little high but better than 16 plus like before. After warming up the bike I check the volts again same rpm voltage staying around 13.5- 14.0 seemed little low. so I took the bike on a nice ride about an hour and woohoo did not have to call better half to come and get me :D
after playing around little more bike did start to run rough and would die and was hard to restart. I was wondering if maybe stator or field coil not working as good when hot and lower rpm's. So anyway I will spend little more time with it tomorrow and let ya'll know how it goes. (will if weather holds out, suppose to rain :( )
ty again for all the help :thumbsup:
this was me today----> :bike:

Brother! Congrats! Now you're in the rolling repair stage! That's much better than the static repair stage. So glad the riding emoticon was you today!

Drewcifer

Im going to post here since I seem to have the exact same issue you did, its also in my build thread. My field coil is getting power from both the green and brown wire and is not getting grounded. Pulled the connector while running and hooked up direct 12v to green wire and grounded the black one and got a noticeable charge, not great but it did charge. I know you ended up putting a new regulator in the bike but how did you wire it up to ground the field coil?

Edit: I can only get mine to charge with the field coil hooked directly to the battery, when I plug in the regulator it wont charge.

Last edited:
You'd need to jumper the green wire to battery negative to ground it. the brushes system is switched ground (when volts are low enough, the ground circuit is activated drawing the power through the regulator. On the other system, the low volts activate the circuit and postive flows through. It' s just a matter of where the automatic low voltage switch is located in the wiring. So on the later bikes it's after the regulator trigger, on the early bikes its before the regulator trigger.)

I ended up getting the r296 to work. I don't have crazy high numbers like the OP but mine is still charging none the less.

Hi all,
little off the point for this forum but was wondering if anyone knows about this regulator?
(Accel 201430 Chrome Motorcycle Voltage Regulator for Yamaha XS400/500/650)

I might as well Chime in on this thread as well mysteriously have the exact same problem..:wtf:. I dont think its the vreg. I believe we've lost ground or a relay somewhere, anyone have any insight?

On your stator and feild coil when testing you need to check from the wires to the body of the item. You may get good ohms wire to wire but it can still have short to the body that when mounted on the engine be a short to ground.
On the XS650 the early mechanical regs control power to the field coil. On the later solid state reg they controlled the ground.
On the XS400 feild coil it can be done either way.
On my redo I used a 75 Dodge Dart reg, Advanced Auto R292Z if I remember right, around $14. Look like the pic.
This controls the ground on the feild coil. When you hook it in ground the body.
In the triangle wiring hookup there are two pins. The upper left pin is the wire to the feild coil. The feild coilhas two wires, hook one to power after the switch, the other to the reg.
The lower center pin is power from after the switch. It needs this wire to tell battery voltage.
Now when you turn the key on the power flows to the feild coil and the reg. If the power to the reg is less than the regs preset 14.5 volts and it will be, it turns on and grounds the wire from the feild coil.
Power also goes to the feild coil. When the reg turns on, power flows through the feild coil to the reg and to ground. This magnetizes the feild coil so that when the dengine starts the stator starts to put out electricity.
As this electricty flows out of the stator, gets rectifed by the rectifer then charges the battery. Once the battery voltage reaches the regs preset 14.5 volts it turns of, stopping the flow of powe through the feild coil, stopping the charge. Once the battery volts drops to the 14.5 volts the reg turns on, Starting the cycle all over. It does this thousands of times a minute.
Hope this helps.
Leo

Attachments

• 51168.jpg
    51168.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 389
SO, what your saying is there is a great potential that my once running perfectly fine 79xs4002-f may have lost is ground through the solid state style vreg it was outfitted with, via the crusty screws on the front of the battery box or the battery box itself.. due to many months of being parked in a damp dirt floor shed?

Last edited:
Back