Charging system troubleshooting. Whats my next step?

vim420

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been performing charging system tests on my 1980 special 2 according to the manual. Tested the three white wires from alternator and the ohms were not to spec. Does this mean i need a new alternator? What am i looking at having to do? Fairly new to charging systems so im not 100% about anything. Thanks!

As long as the 3 white wires are coming from your 'alternator,' you would be testing the actual field coils. If they are not in spec it either means that the coils are bad or there is a problem with the wires themselves. I'm no expert and I'm just starting to get back on the forum after some time, but I believe some guys have had troubles where the wires actually come out of the case.

The three white wires come from the stator. I'm not sure what your specs are but I have found that if they are all the same and close to spec things should work.
You also have a set of field coils. These are mounted inside the rotor. The field coil creates a very strong magnetic field around the rotor. On the rotor are fingers of a sort. As the rotor spins these fingers effect the magnetic field and this changing magnetic field is what excites the stator into producing power.
On the stator you use the lowest ohm scale on your meter. Now before you test the wires touch the probes on the meter together. This is needed on very low ohm readings. Get above about 10 ohms it don't matter. You will get a small ohm reading. This is the ohms of the test leads. Now touch the wires. test as three sets of two.
On my meters one's leads check out at .7 ohms, the other at .1 ohms.
Now lets say when you test the wires you get 1.3 ohms. You then take the first reading of the probes and subtract it from the test reading to get the actual ohms. On my .7 ohm meter, 1.3 - .7 = .6 ohms. See how that works.
Now do all three. There is another test you need to do. Set the meter to a higher scale, like 20k ohms or 20,000 ohms. Test from the wires to the steel body of the stator. You should get an infinity reading, no continuity.
On the field coil do the same, you only have two wires there so it's easier, test the wires then test from wires to ground.
Report back all these readings.
Leo

Thanks for taking the time to write so much! First off when i touch the leads on my meter it settles to 0.2.
I tested the white wires again today 2 pairs read 0.8 and the other 0.4. Originally i had read 1ohm across all them.
None of this taking into account 0.2. Originally when i tested the coil it read 4.0 ohms, but today it was at 3.8.
The cover is magnetized when I turn the key, so i doubt its the coil.
For the other test can i access the stator just from the yamaha cover? I ride this bike basically everyday so I cant commit to draining oil and pulling a bunch of stuff apart. Thanks for your help!

Back