Clutch adjustment issues

Fogeljazz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a clutch adjustment issue. My clutch is really, really short and it's almost like a switch, it's either On or Off. There is very little play and it's very hard to slip the clutch at walking pace speed. I've tried to adjust the clutch wire and handle according to the manual and the various YouTube-videos. But either I'm not doing it right or something else is wrong, because it doesn't seem to get any better.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Also my starter clutch is slipping like crazy and squeals like a pig. Is there an easy way to fix this or are we talking a full rebuild/replacement?

Tia
/Emil

It sounds like your cable is too tight. I’m not saying you want play in it, but there are two adjustments that can be made.

First, bottom out your cable at the lever. Screw the cable guide all the way in. See what your clutch is like there.

What have you tried to do? The friction point isn’t an all day affair. Is there a feeling you are going after in this repair?

Will try to bottom out the cable and see what happens. I just want a "normal" clutch function. As it is now, it's either fully engaged or disengaged. Hard to drive really slow in first gear, when parking, low speed maneuvering etc. You can upshift super quick, though :D

These clutches when brand new and correctly adjusted don't has much "slip" to them. They will grab at the end of the lever or very close to it. If your plates pads and springs are all in spec I would first turn your adjustment at the top of the cable where the lever is all they in. That will give you a lot of slack in the lever but that's ok for now. Then at the bottom behind the rubber plug there is an adjustment bolt. This is all in the manual and there are threads on this in the forum. Loosen the lock nut and turn in the screw till it starts to get tight. Then back it out 1/4 turn and then lock the nut back in. Then adjust the top adjuster till you have abut 1/8" or so of play in the lever. That's it.

Can you “half clutch” your bike? I’d rather burn my clutch out than to drop my bike and sometimes on a slippery clay road, you gotta rev her to keep her upright. Have you done any riding schools?

Back