Clutch perch question

SussexSlammer

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So. Newbie question. But what is this and can I delete it?

image.jpeg

It's you clutch safety switch. Lets you use the e-start if not in neutral. If you unplug it from the harness it would be like it was always pulled. I have removed mine from the 82 with no issues. I do still have on my 81 tho.

So I shouldn't have any issues just snipping it short and tucking it away? The bike is a kicker only. Pulled the starter as soon as I got the thing.

There is +12V present on one of the wires. Don't want it shorting anywhere.
Disconnect the wires at the connectors.

The switch itself pops out by pressing into the hole in the bottom of the clutch perch. Pulls right out once the tab is depressed.

Oh that wire runs to the headlight bucket? Im kind of bad when it comes to wiring diagrams, or electrical in general. But you guys make it sound relatively easy

I'm a millennial with a lazy eye. Everything is difficult to me haha. But I'll play with it a bit tonight and let you guys know what came of it all. I ordered a one finger stunt clutch, once that's in I'll also post some pictures with my results.

image.jpeg

Okay.. So how does this headlight come off of here? Do I just pop the blinkers out of the headlight bucket and expose some screws underneath those? I read the Haynes manual, but that's damn near useless for things like this.

Also. Weird electrical issue? I had some new fuses put on the bike, but now I lost all blinkers, tail light and indicator lights. But the headlight and the speedo/tach lights still work. Are all those lines on the same fuse? The flasher fuse does look blown.

Back