Clutch switch broken

jrhowe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
:wtf: I broke the switch in the clutch assembly on the handel bars when I tried to remove it. It is a switch/contact that operates when the clutch lever is pulled in or let out. What does that switch do and will it keep the bike from running when I get ready to fire it up for the first time?

Welcome jrhowe what is the year and model of your bike?We are pic whores on this site so please post them.As for a clutch switch Im not sure what you mean:shrug:I have the horn button and the clutch handle on the left side bar.From the clutch handle sometimes where the cable connects the corn where the hole is for the bolt that holds it in place the handle will break there.Maybe a pic of this clutch switch will jog my memory into rembering something.:shrug:

It a a safety thing that won't let you start the bike with the e-start unless the the lever is pulled in. I have just unhooked them and got rid of them on a few xs650's over the years.

It a a safety thing that won't let you start the bike with the e-start unless the the lever is pulled in. I have just unhooked them and got rid of them on a few xs650's over the years.

When you say unhook the does that mean ther is a plug/ connector at the other end?

If this plug for this switch a single wire perhaps brown with a single plug in on it?I ask this because I have inside my head light bucket that's been that way ever since I bought the bike.It has no affect on anything.

xsChris It a a safety thing that won't let you start the bike with the e-start unless the the lever is pulled in. I have just unhooked them and got rid of them on a few xs650's over the years.
Sorry not to hijack the thread but could this be a part of my ignition problem and would moving the controls from one set of bars to another cause this problem?

I am not sure but I was trying to remove the switch out of the perch that holds the clutch handle and broke it in half because the plastic was so brittle.

Well I know nothing broke during the transition of the controls from the old set of bars to the new ones.It went very smooth.Man I hope I get this problem figured out soon.Im itching for a ride.

Back