Common Alternations

ChrisValentine

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
*alterations.

I searched but perhaps I am not searching the correct terms.

Is there a list of very common alterations/customizations that are done to an old bike, such as my 81 xs400? I know that a lot of technology has changed over the years and some of you may be more aware of that than I am. In fact I'm sure just about everyone is more aware of that than I am :)

I know that the air boxes are commonly replaced with the K&N style cone deals. This seems a pretty nice switch for a better look and lower footprint.

Are there any other things that are no-brainer type changes that most people probably wont to make when redoing their bike?

Thanks.

Recommendations So far
--pod filters
--replace bus fuses with blade-style
--toss items for weigth savings (the e-start, center stand, battery box, miscellaneous),
--halogen headlight
--LED conversions
--Exhaust (possibly due to corrosion)
--Brake System Overhaul
--Check Suspension

Last edited:
The most common alterations seem to be: (1) pod filters, (2) replace bus fuses with blade-style, (3) toss the e-start, center stand, battery box, and miscellaneous items for weight savings, (4) halogen headlight, (5) custom builds [chopper/bobber/cafe/hardtail], and (6) LED conversions. It seems like most of the components have held up fairly well over the 30+ years, but some need a little TLC. The only things that seem to be consistently problematic to me are the charging system and the carburetors.

Just the entire brake system in general. New pads, disc machined(or replaced), maybe new calipers, stainless steel lines, rebuild the master(or replace), new shoes and machine drums...

Brakes seem like a silly thing, but when you have a really tight brake system the bike just feels SO much better.

Back