Cracked oil filter cover - J-B Weld or replace?

Any Seca or Maxim oil cover will work from 1982 or 1983.

This seller on Ebay currently is parting out a motor (I've seen the cases, barrels and top end all separate). They may have the part you need. Any Maxim or Seca will do...

Is that $100 parts bike in Ottawa still available? If he still has it, take what you need, keep any good stuff, and part out the remainder.
How did you know I would write to that guy? Well, I did and it was sold the other day.

I did have some luck with the machine shop which the mechanic referred me to though. They couldn't have been nicer, had their aluminum guy take a crack at it. He may well have done a good enough job to last me until the next $100 wreck comes along. He didn't weld and fill all the way to the centre hole as that would have involved precision machining to get the hole perfect again = quite a bit of expensive time. Instead, he advised me to put a small bead of silicon orange high temp gasket maker on the flat edge around the hole for the flat flange of the bolt to squeeze against.

I think I am going to be okay for a while - he rides a "Yamaha XS Eleven". :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Welded cover, outside.jpg
    Welded cover, outside.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Welded cover, inside.jpg
    Welded cover, inside.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 323
good to know you have a fix for now :thumbsup:
i will keep an eye out in missouri for any that pop up and let you know if i find any

good to know you have a fix for now :thumbsup:
i will keep an eye out in missouri for any that pop up and let you know if i find any
Thanks, very kind of you. You must be English, or, at the very least, British. :eek:

May need it - the repair is less than perfect. OK at first but once the engine was running and there was oil pressure, there was a drip at one of the cracks. :mad:

Attachments

• Permatex Ultra Copper Hi-temp RTV Gasket.JPG
    Permatex Ultra Copper Hi-temp RTV Gasket.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Thanks, very kind of you. You must be English, or, at the very least, British. :eek:

May need it - the repair is less than perfect. OK at first but once the engine was running and there was oil pressure, there was a drip at one of the cracks. :mad:

What is the significance of the "1.5 kg-m" stamped on that piece as shown in the picture? It seems like a low numberto me but if that is the correct torque value for the bolt I calculate it to be approximately 1 lb./ft., not 11 lb./ft. as you set your wrench for. That would have been 10 times what you were supposed to use :yikes:. If I remember correctly you multiply by 0.67 to convert kg/m to lb/ft.

What is the significance of the "1.5 kg-m" stamped on that piece as shown in the picture? It seems like a low numberto me but if that is the correct torque value for the bolt I calculate it to be approximately 1 lb./ft., not 11 lb./ft. as you set your wrench for. That would have been 10 times what you were supposed to use :yikes:. If I remember correctly you multiply by 0.67 to convert kg/m to lb/ft.

It's correct and so is your formula, if applied to the third (?) scale (not shown).

According to the manual, the correct torque is 15 Nm (nanometers) = 1.5m/kg = 11 ft./lb.
I did over-torque it because I couldn't recognize the signal, but it was set at 11 lbs = 1.5m = 15 Nm. :banghead:

Back