Curious Newby

Heritage Guy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a 1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special a little over a year ago and my wife is currently riding the bike. I am curious as to why the bike only shifts up to 5th and not 6th gear. The shifter reaches firm resistance if you attempt to shift into 6th. The gearing sequence is stamped on the side of the crank case and it indicates 6 gears. Can anyone shed some light? Did they produce an XS400 with only 5 gears?:confused:

Interesting scenario I have no idea why it wont shift to 6th unless something has br oken and wedged that gear.Only the secas or ther maxiums have the 5 speed trans.Not both of the two cant remember which model.Keep reading you will find thread on this mysterious problem.Mybe do a little search in the space where it says forum search and you`ll be able to find some info.:)Good luck.

it is one down and 5 up you know?

First thing that came to my mind as well ^^
The order of the gears is, as with most bikes:
N

I'm assuming you realize this :) If this still doesn't work you've probably got an issue in your gearbox, but I'm no expert

Interesting scenario I have no idea why it wont shift to 6th unless something has br oken and wedged that gear.Only the secas or ther maxiums have the 5 speed trans.Not both of the two cant remember which model.Keep reading you will find thread on this mysterious problem.Mybe do a little search in the space where it says forum search and you`ll be able to find some info.:)Good luck.

the seca also has 6, only the maxim has 5.

I do know that it is 1 down and 5 up. It appears that there is some work to be done on the gear box. Thanks for everyone's input.

Back