Defeated by a caliper?!? Say it ain't so!?!

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
Well my whole XS400 project may be done for by poor caliper design (not for sure, as the pads are good, but if they need out?!?) I read up and it seems the allen screw that the pads ride on and that retains them is now one with the caliper, and that this is not uncommon. The allen socket, even with a correct metric allen is starting to strip and the bolt will not budge even with repeated and vicious attacks by my impact driver.

Mind you I am very low budget, that's why I need a bike (gas mileage) and a $185 new caliper is absolutely not an option, besides if it's as crappy as the original I can see having the same problem in a few years when it's time to do brakes again. I hate to scrap a project for such a stupid reason, but I am all out of ideas and this caliper probably will not survive removal of what should be an easily removable bolt.

Not a damn thing on eBay, I guess it's time to call the thieves guild, er I meant Bent Bike, and see how much they want to rob me for one, but any other ideas would be appreciated because I know the way those guys think, they want like 75% of new price minimum for junk parts in my experience.

Last edited:
Good news is they are around half of new price, but the bad news is that is still more than I can afford for a while.

I would throw any caliper in there that would line up with my disk, so any infor on interchangeability would be much appreciated as well! Thanks in advance!

Sorry about your unfortunate incident sounds horrifing LOL.Keep checking our local classified section something will pop up.If Im correct the xs650 uses the same caliper as our xs400.Check out some other jap bikes like suzuki,kawasaki most of these bikes are pretty similair to the yamaha.Good luck I hope it gets better.I know what it means to be low budget.Buying things for my bike is a slow process.I live on the line of being broke and poor and paid once a month so I understand completely.

Well if I get the wheel on and they don't stick I can get away with this one a while yet, but I have to get a tube in the tire or a tubeless on the front (got a free tire but it wasn't tubeless). I am even considering putting a Honda front end on of it will fit as I have access to lots of Honda junk cheap, and Yamaha stuff is much harder to come by.

According to www.cyclepartsnation.com the caliper fits these applications.

Parts Search Results
Assemblies where 29L-2580U-00-00 is used
1982 XJ750J - Front Brake Caliper
1982 XS400J - Front Brake Caliper
1982 XS400RJ - Front Brake Caliper
1983 XJ750K - Front Brake Caliper
1983 XJ750MK - Front Brake Caliper
1983 XS400K - Front Brake Caliper
1983 XS400RK - Front Brake Caliper
1984 RZ350L - Front Brake - Caliper

Back