Dirt road vibration/dust electrical system health

hollywoodcrash

scrambler and adventure
Reaction score
I want to primarily (80% or more) ride a modified XS400 (tires, sprockets, suspension a bit) on dirt roads. Will the leads from the charging system and other electrical connections be able to take this abuse, ie. vibration and dust?

These bikes where never designed to run as dirt bikes. If you upgrade the suspension and wheels front and rear it should be ok as long as your not jumping it:wink2: I would make sure all the wiring including the fuse box is in good repair.

If the charging system still has it's original wiring, you may want to rewire before trying it. The 30 yr old wires tend to be brittle and I could see them getting rattled and broken fairly easily. The rewire is super easy and takes less than an hour. There is three white wires (or possibly yellow) to the stator and two wires to the field coil. Definitely look there first. They also run through the sprocket cover so you might want to put a cover around the wiring if possible. Other than that, most of your wiring is up top and wrapped (if factory)

Thank you xschris and rugbywarrior, in following Vroom4's build thread I saw that brittleness and now I know the difficulty factor in dealing with that. Appreciate the reply.

Back