DOHC starter clutch removal

rickee

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Is there a short version of removing the starter clutch that doesn't involve taking the gearbox out? Just bought a DOHC XS250 with a starter issue (spins but doesn't engage, wiring is iffy so it could be spinning backwards, or the clutch is messed up or the HYVO is AWOL) and want to know what the usual route to just sort that problem out is. The manual is for a complete overhaul which I'm not looking to do.

Thanks in Advance

Richard

phew, re-checked it today a bit more methodically. Its working just fine, turned the engine over with the plugs in and had good strong puffs of air coming from the exhaust :) I think when I viewed it before the seller of the bike had not torqued the plugs down properly so the motor free-spun.

phew, re-checked it today a bit more methodically. Its working just fine, turned the engine over with the plugs in and had good strong puffs of air coming from the exhaust :) I think when I viewed it before the seller of the bike had not torqued the plugs down properly so the motor free-spun.

that was close :thumbsup:

Yep, very close.

Picked up a 2nd hand CDI today for it, which is nice. Now I need coils :( Can anyone confirm the part numbers for 250 DOHC coils? are they the same as the 400 ones?

Thanks!

Richard

Yay, that was the answer I was hoping for :)

Took the carbs off today, not as bad as I was expecting, one main jet clogged and a small tear in each diaphragm. Needle springs are gummed and not moving but hopefully some soaking will sort that :)

Back