New guy with questions - starter clutch repair kit

kodiak

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello. I bought a 1981 XS400 Special II a couple weeks ago and I've been following willem's new bike how to to get her running right.

I'm having starting problems, it doesn't start easy and when it does it revs normal for a few minutes then starts revving high then dies.

I cleaned the carbs really well. Might do it again after I put the inline fuel filter in.

Anyway, having a hard time diagnosing the problem because the starter only engages sometimes and spins freely most of the time. I searched and figured out I need starter clutch repair kit but just want make sure it fits my 81. Mikesxs doesn't seem to have them listed under the 400 but I found some at partsnmore listed for 82-83. Will that work on my bike?

Here's the link to the part, middle of the page.

Thanks in advance

I don't think the dohc bike ones will work. You may want to take it apart and see what is going on in there first. You rev issue is either lean condition or a bad diaphragm. after you cleaned the carbs did you sync them with a manometer? Also what exhaust and air filters are you using? Put up some pics of the bike so we can see what you have.

I just emptied out my tank and put some 93 octane in it. While I was at it I noticed that the PO had removed the vacuum hose from the petcock. I took the petcock apart and all the seals look good and there's no leaks and no drips when it's on ON or RES. Not sure why he took it off but now it's a manual petcock.

I also put in a new fuse box.

One or both of the above seemed to help. After warming it up it revved at 1200 rpm just fine. I still need to sync the carbs though. And check the valve spacing too.

Good idea, I'll take it apart and take a look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 361
Couldn't seem to upload more than one attachment from my iPad but here's some more pics...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 353
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 367
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 325
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 338
Looks like a nice bike. Make sure you put a in-line fuel filter on it. It will keep a lot on bits out of the carbs.

Thanks!

The old fuse box still had the original sticker on it, made things easy.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 333
Back