Dual vs. Single Disc Brake

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've seen that the dual brake set-up seems to be something that some of the gurus on this thread favor, but after general reading online, I've got the impression that they may not be necessarily beneficial. First, how are the stock brakes? Can you lock up the wheel? Is fading a serious problem in normal riding conditions? And for the dual brake set-up, is the extra unstrung weight very noticeable? Do you really gain any stopping capabilities, or does it just make it easier to utilize what capabilities you already had(the friction of your front tire). I will most likely be riding loaded up with adv gear most of the time, so that may be a factor. I already bought the m/c, caliper, and rotor, so I'm probably going to test this myself anyhow once I get my bike running, but I figured I'd see what you guys think about it.

Unless your going to ride with a lot of weight or do some serious racing it is not worth it or needed. The stock setup works just fine:)

I always ride with a lot of weight, but my standard brakes are fine. The front can be locked up....not a great habit in normal riding, and fade would only be an issue if you were doing some serious, serious riding. If you have good pads, the master cylinder is working well and the caliper is in good shape, that's probably all you will need, now want on the other hand, some people just want the cool, custom look. In my book, with the power these bikes have, looks are the main advantage of dual brakes for normal street riding.

I had dual on the standard bike and makes a big difference, especially when racing RD's ;)
saved my bacon a few times I can tell you

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I got a decent deal on the xs750 front brake assembly ($50?) so I'm just going to give it a shot if left lower fork with a caliper mount comes my way and see if I like it. drewpy, what is the difference they make? Is it that they engage quicker? I figured braking harder is braking better when I went to get the stuff, but if both systems will use the full friction of the rubber on the road, what is the benefit? If you remember the examples of times the dual system has saved you, It'd be a good help to hear them.

using modern rubber (BT45) it makes a difference. Basically you are have xs1100 brakes system on a lighter bike.

Hate to think what it was like on those beasts!

usually have to brake hard when car drivers just slam on their brakes for no apparent reason (usually see a parking spot last min) I stopped but my mate on a bigger bike hit him.(Yes you leave a safe distance as well)

I do like to get a move on when riding the twisties, usually scraping the pegs, stopping is more important tome than top speed

Gotcha, thanks for the info Drewpy. I guess with my dual-sport tires I probably won't see any difference. Still don't quite understand the nominal difference in brake dynamics, but that's what testing is for!

On going to a dual disc system, if your stock master cylinder works then it's the one you want for a dual disc system.
I have don a lot of experimenting with different combo's of brake parts. Your stock 14 mm bore M/C is ideal for two single piston calipers. If you want to run a single disc, run a 10 or 11 mm bore M/C.
The 14 mm is ok with a single caliper but not ideal. It feels a bit wooden. You pull hard and get very little braking effect. With the 10 or 11 mm you pull lightly and get very strong braking.
Using the stock 14 mm with two calipers doubles the braking power with the same pull on the lever. Or you can pull half as hard to get the same braking.
Leo

Leo, I think I read your post on drewpy's thread in the tech section. I'll definitely be trying that out. Most of the goodies came in today, and the left fork should be on it's way from a fellow forum member, 2eightcustoms, pretty soon. Bikes not running though... In a couple weeks when my schooling is over I'll get her running and check back.

Back