emgo filters"BAD"

new kid on the brat

new kid on the brat
Reaction score
someone pointed this out the other day so i did some research and, hmmmm what do you know a problem causer right here!!!:wtf:

the rubber boot covers up half of the air inlet for the diaphragm

this is a round filter!! are the oval filters a better design?

Attachments

• 0526011955.jpg
    0526011955.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 0526011958.jpg
    0526011958.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 210
Wow, great job pulling them apart. This could definitely cause some problems. I have never heard anything negative said in regard to the oval, expensive pods.

That doesn't look good.
However, I'm pretty sure mine don't have that "stop". So no problem covering up the air inlet. Not completely sure though, have to check that out.
But it runs good, and burns good. So no real issues. (yet, knock on wood)

Take a sharp razor blade and trim the rubber down. You can cut off quite a bit, and uncover everything.
Oh yeah..... Now that you've taken it apart it will want to come apart all the time.
Been there done that.

something like this Drewpy? do you put a pipe inside so there is something to clamp to?

Ebola monkey,i thaught about trimming them but it looks like i would have to cut away almost all of the lip them the filters would fall off for sure!

Attachments

• 0527010042.jpg
    0527010042.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 228
You can buy some nice large oval pods from mikesxs for a good price, they are way better!

So I have been trying to troubleshoot my bikes hicup problems and decided as a last ditch effort to remove the EMGO pods that I had hooked directly to the carbs and take the bike for a spin with no air filters. To my suprise, bike runs awesome. No hesitation. So now I modified the stock tubes. I cut the metal ring from the stock filters and placed in side the stock tubes to give it some ridgity and mounted up the pods to that. Hope this helps someone. I ripped the carbs apart over and over to figure out this problem, synced the carbs and it turns out to be the PODS. I will eventually get MikesXS oval, but they are out of stock till at least August.

so something like this!

i am up one size on my mains. 137.5 i think. and she runs sweet! a little failure at close to redline but i don't wind her up that far exept for the test runs.

Attachments

• 0527010035.jpg
    0527010035.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 0527010030(2).jpg
    0527010030(2).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 205
I have UNI pods,foam rubber,washable ones.I put one on my dirt bike and it runs good,and all you have to do is remove it,wash,dry and oil.Really easy and good filtering,due to the oil on the foam catching dust. Will use two more[bought 3 at once to save on shipping]when I'm through with my xs400seca. lha

The guy that put my Emgo's on put them directly on the carbs. I remember him saying they wanted to pop off until he trimmed them a bit. However, I think I like the looks better on the rubber boot as it would put the pods back further beside the battery and fill that spot up a bit. I have the stock side covers on and would rather see the pods better. Not only that but the breather would be better than something that might plug up. What size Emgo's would you need as the boot is smaller than the carb throat. I think mine are 48mm.

I just changed mine from the carbs to Drewpy's method. I think it's better for the crankcase breather and looks better, IMO. Probably my imagination but seems to run better, too. Now I just have to come up with something to cover the sides of the battery to hide that mess. Thanks!

i have been thinking about some polished stainless or alluminum pieces fit into the battery sides. it would have that see through look without the wiring hassle. what do you think?

That might be just the ticket. I even thought about some type of decal, possibly numbers but the stainless would look more finished. Maybe the stuff they make pickup truck toolboxes out of with the diamond plate.

Back