Enough oil?!

Bizzy13

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I changed the oil and filter in my bike yesterday. It held 2 qts 4ozs and reading over fill! Is that right?!! My KZ held 3 3/4qts w/ a new filter.

Yup, next tot the Oil fill spot, is 2000. right over the kickstart. It just means its a 2 liters, and one quart of oil is = to .934 of a liter. (about) so the manual says if you replace the filter, you need 2.3 liters. Then the manual breaks everything down in to Pints. so 5 pints with filter change, and 4.2pints without filter change. hahaha, I try to get the Liter size perfectly, I take a 2 liter mountain bottle, and rinse it out, and fill it with oil, and put 2 liters in then. I am such a geek.

That's what I had read it would take! But it didn't, not even close! Kinda made me wonder if the oil isn't going into the filter.

Do you have the site glass oil level indicator on your bike?Also you mentioned something on another thread about not using the centerstand,does the bike have one:shrug:Make sure your bike is on flat even surface and check the oil.

So 2 1/2 quarts. It didn't hold that much. 2 1/4 was over fill. Probably more like 2qts 2oz's.
The manual says the sohc takes 2.4 US quarts (= 2.3L) with the filter etc. Did you run the engine for a couple of minutes after putting in the 2.25 quarts? That should distribute the oil throughout, including the filter housing and filter, and then you ought to be able to squeeze in the last four and a half ounces.

It should take 2.5 or so quarts dry. I am not a big fan of the sight glass on the side of the case both of my bikes have the dipstick in them It's more accurate.

It should take 2.5 or so quarts dry. I am not a big fan of the sight glass on the side of the case both of my bikes have the dipstick in them It's more accurate.
I hope it's not a hijack to ask, but what is the correct dipstick reading procedure (besides looking deep into the dipstick's eyes to the vacuum beyond ....) ?

Does one screw the dipstick all the way in and then unscrew, remove and read - or does one push it in until the thread stops it and then remove and read?

For the sohc xs400 (with the bike cold) set the dipstick on the threads with the bike on its center stand (and level) then read. I have been doing this for 15 years with no issues:)

Honestly I dont trust the site glass either.IN my opinion I beleive the fliter holds more oil than what you might think.Especialy brand new and dry,from what I can tell seems like about half quart give or take.

Yes there was oil in old filter and bike was good & hot when I changed it. But Im being told 2 1/2 qts is normal. It's running good so Im happy w/ it.

Back