Ethanol - taking precautions

JaredK

82 DOHC
Reaction score
I've been searching the forum and other sources online to try to figure out what the bottom line is on running gas with ethanol in these old engines. I know which stations around here have Ethanol-free, but I'm going on a road trip from Ottawa to Boston (600km) next week and I don't want to spend half my time hunting for gas that isn't blended with ethanol!

Here's what I've found from this site:
- Ethanol can deteriorate some of the rubber parts in our engines (carb boots, diaphragms, o-rings, gaskets, and fuel and vacuum lines if they aren't resistant)
- Ethanol-blended gas separates if it sits too long, and that separation is bad for the engine once it hits the carbs.

My question is this: if I'm on a road trip, constantly riding and refueling, would it be bad for me to use gas with Ethanol in it once in a while? Would any regular fuel stabilizer, like the Sta-Bil I used for winterizing my bike, help? Or do I need something specific for ethanol and engines that use carbs (I saw someone mentioned an "ethanol conditioner")?

I've run E10 a few times, and the brass jets show minor corrosion from it. The bike ran ok, but... Avoid it if you can.

If you get a chance, go on one of the whale watching cruises when you are in Boston. And the Duck Boat tour of the city. Both are lots of fun, we did them last summer. Have a safe ride!

When I had the bike in Florida last Jan, I was able to buy ethanol-free at very few places, but, being as they have so many boat-owners demanding it, all of the marinas carried it and a very few stations nearby. It's almost $1/ USgal more though.

I was able to find a stabilizer-type product in one of the Auto supply stores which advertised itself as specifically formulated to help prevent ethanol damage in old engines. I carried it around in my saddle bag and when I had to I would use it.
If I can find the bottle or remember the brand, I will add it to this thread later.

There are more and more gas stations around selling non ethanol high test, 91 octane. I don't recall the website but they have them that list all the non ethanol gas stations by state.
Leo

Thanks for the feedback. I'll use the pure-gas website to mark a few gas stations before I go that might be on my route. Seems like its mainly the smaller non-chain stations that carry ethanol-free. It might also be a good idea to bring along a bit of fuel stabilizer just in case. (The Sta-Bil Marine product advertises that it prevents corrosion from ethanol, although I'm not sure if that's just the corrosion from water separation and long-term condensation, which wouldn't be a problem if I'm on the move).

Back