evaporust....sounds gimicky, but it actually works!

dongrady

dbgrady
Reaction score
i bought this stuff more or less ot prove it didn't work, but it actually works great. here's some before pic's of the part in question and a couple of one i did a while ago(strut spring seat for my audi). i'll show some after pic's when there's something to show.but the prosess is simple, find a bucket or jar and fill with evaporust and drop the part in. walk away for a day or so and it'll eat the rust.

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/audilvr/evaporust/

not sure what's in it, but it doesn't affect anything but rust. aluminum, rubber and gasket material are untouched. directoins say it can be dumped in the sink wheen done.

I've seen the videos- looks impressive. Not quite as impressive...or harmless is a phosphoric acid solution like Jasco Prep and Etch, but it works well and is relatively inexpensive.

If you want to use a phosphoric acid rust eater that you can dump down the sink and doesn't cost a fortune, just buy cola. I bought a 2 litre bottle at my local supermarket this week for 17p, (what's that in the US, about 25c ?).
Great for killing the rust, but I sure as hell wouldn't drink the stuff ........... :laugh:

You bet it works - just follow my streetfighter build and the results are absolutely terrific. $25.00 at Harbor Freight. And when done I filtered through a paint filter cone and rebottled it for future projects. I believe they have a product that will work on carbs called piston something. I'll buy some and report back.

I use diet coke and a rubbermaid tub to soak rusty headers and then clean 'em with tin-foil. They look like new when done!

On cleaning aluminum fins,I cleaned the fins on my Yamaha Dt400 dirt bike with a cheap rim cleaner,that I bought at a dollar store called Dollar Tree.It came in a spray bottle,and I sprayed it on and brushed it a little with a small round brush,then rinsed with water.I'm going to polish the fins a bit,then spray with a high-temp clearcoat from O'reillys. lha

Back