Exhaust Baffle Not Fitting

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
I recently installed exhaust baffles, which were missing, but the left side baffle doesn't set in the muffler all the way. It is slightly too wide (or more likely the muffler for some reason is slightly too narrow). Regardless, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to make it fit? I tried using some tailpipe heat wrap to make it wide enough to plug the mouth of the pipe to no avail. I thought about trying to shave the baffle a bit narrower but am not sure of a method to do it because they seem to be very fragile. The right one started to pull apart a bit and crack just being pushed onto the header pipes.

Any ideas on how I can make it fit or other solutions?

Thanks!

P.S. Is this stock exhaust?

Attachments

• DSC_6771.jpg
    DSC_6771.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_6772.jpg
    DSC_6772.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_6774.jpg
    DSC_6774.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC_6775.jpg
    DSC_6775.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC_6776.jpg
    DSC_6776.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_6778.jpg
    DSC_6778.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 316
I think you have a couple of pieces missing,maybe connectors.Look on a parts diagram like on Bike bandit or Boats .net. lha

I checked bikebandit when I bought the baffles and everything seems to be there. The only thing between the pipes and the mufflers was the exhaust baffles. The right side fit fine :-S

Measure the ID of the muffler,and OD of header pipe. There looks to be a bit of difference between the two,as a gasket fits in there to seal off the joint. Welding would be a workable option,as you can always cut it if you need to. lha

I can only get the ID of the muffler at the mouth and the baffle sits further in. After the mouth of the muffler there's a seam that is narrower than the mouth and the actual muffler (see pictures) and I think this is where the baffle sits and plugs it, at least that's the case on the right one. As for welding I don't have access to any equipment. I thought about cutting the baffle because it is a soft foam type material but I'm hesitant because it seems to be very fragile and I don't want to spend another $21 + shipping by messing this one up due to hastiness.

there are supposed to be copper "band" type gaskets that are wrapped around the header pipes to take up the difference in diameters, I don't see any on yours. I had to actually cut them off mine when I went with aftermarket mufflers.

Those mufflers are not from a xs400 so you will have to find some pipe that fit in the muffler a reduce down to fit the header pipe.

yam xs exhausts don't have the seam, they are much better made and have 1L9 or 3N6 engraved on them.

I've seen the copper bands on websites but I don't think that they show 'em/or use them in the '77 diagrams on parts websites. Thanks for the update on my not so 'stock' exhaust :-D I'd like to run straight pipes because once I put the baffles in (even with one not fitting) I noticed a substantial drop in power but this is my primary transportation and straight pipes/non-baffled pipes literally make me deaf. Rode all summer like that last year and noticed my hearing suffered :-( And I don't want to wear ear plugs every time I ride :shrug:

Iha, I thought the exact same thing about the fragility of the baffles but the one that fit seems to be holding up well. I'll take them apart tm to check their condition and make the other baffle fit.

Thanks a lot for all the info guys!

Back