Exhaust Ticket

Hishman

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I got an exhaust ticket today and i'm quite infuriated about it. Right now my xs has just straight pipes because the mufflers fell off. It certainly isn't quiet but its not obnoxious especially when cruising in town either.

Cops here in normal are real d-bags who having nothing better to do than go around and give stupid tickets, we have low crime especially when its summer. The cop also mentioned he thought it was odd that no one had called and complained where i live by because they are all older, most being retired. Actually we wave to each other when i drive past on my bike. I wanted to reply to him and be like "Yeah because its not that loud!" Mind you i frequent my friends houses till 2-3am on a regular basis and drive home through said neighborhood. Not once has a neighbor even hinted at the level of my exhaust.

Anyway i'm for sure taking this to court because a $120 ticket is not reasonable and is 1/4 what i paid for the whole freaking bike. Also what is the stock diameter of an 80 xs so i can throw on some chambers before my court date.

can't help you with the measurements, tell the judge you were getting the mufflers polished? thats a rough ticket, no db limit in NJ. Aside from wearing a helmet Jersey is quite lax on motorbikes

xs400's with the removable mufflers are 1.5" O.D If you have cut off's it will be different. You may want to measure yours just to make sure. In my area there is a 90db limit. A xs400 with just headers will most definitely past that. In some places if a rod can pass through the exhaust and not hit any baffling it is not legal.

I did mention the thing about harleys' and he said he will get them too. I heard about 5 of them drive by my house that night :banghead:

Honestly the exhaust is a bit loud while i'm accelerating hard but just cruising I'd say it much below 90DB as a lawn mover is about 100DB. I should start calling the state and complaining peoples mowers are too loud :laugh:

Either way it will cost 160$ to go to court and i could still pay the 120$ so i might as well just pay the 120$ as it doesn't effect my driving record. Just my small, frail, college kid wallet :mad:

Its still aggravating that its 120$ which is only 20$ less than a speeding ticket up to 20 mph over. In Illinois an equipment violation is punished just as hard as driving 20mph over? :doh: And the thing of it is i don't really even want a super loud exhaust. I just don't have enough money to buy a sexy mac exhaust. While the whole time every 15-20 thousand dollar Harley around here has a 500$ screaming eagle straight pipe.

People always talk about how America is such a free country but things like this happen all the time and even though i pay taxes i have to pay 160$ for 10 minutes in front of a judge. Its just not right..........

Aright rant over. Lets get back to some tech

well $120 would have been a good start towards a 2-1 MAC set up:banghead:

the ticket is expensive, but most are! the cheapest in NJ i think is unlit/unclear license plate which is like $50, the point system doesn't make much sense either, 5 points for tailgating, and only 4 points for passing a school bus when its flashing lights are on for picking up kids!:wtf:

not sure if you drink, but i know that if i didnt go to the bar for a month id save more than enough to get a shiny new MAC 2-1

Awwww, poor you. Broke the law and got caught. Running open pipes made the cop's job so easy! My recommendation to you: Man up, shut up, pay the fine and learn the lesson. YOU are the only person responsible for your actions that lead to the offence and punishment. Period. No further discussion. If you go in front of a judge and start whining about "fair", "the other guys", and making excuses, you will get no sympathy, only further punishment for wasting the court's time.

Since you are obviously not aware, the USA is no longer a free country, it is a police state similar to pre-WWW-II Germany. Your Constitution has been quietly rendered invalid by the myriad of laws passed since 9/11. Don't believe that? Try to get on an airplane without being groped and irradiated from head to toe. The number of States threatening to break from the Union is increasing. Why does a Canadian have to tell you this? Because your media won't.

By the way not all Harleys are loud. I have a set of Screaming Eagle baloney cut mufflers on my Harley. It's not much louder than stock.
My 75 XS650 is louder.
I don't believe in drag pipes unless you are on a drag strip. That's about the only time open pipes are worth anything. Some think loud pipes save lives, bullshit all they do is piss off the public. The public bitches to the town board and they pass stricker noise ordances. Spelling may be off , spell check is giving me grief.
If you got the ticket then pay up, quit whining and fix your bike. You should have fixed it after the mufflers fell off, not after you got a ticket.
As they say, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."
Leo

but wait, everyone bitches about getting a ticket, guilty or not. Hell i bitch about being pulled over even if i don't get a ticket.

Lou Those were some cool articles but the problem is in Illinois ANY modification to an exhaust is illegal. Even if you make it more quiet it is still considered illegal. So i would have to argue that the exhaust indeed has mufflers and is stock. The ticket just states no mufflers. While i could argue this as the officer probably has no idea what a muffler looks like on a 34 year old bike and that he never looked down my exhaust for an internal baffle, i did mention that they had indeed rusted and fallen off. His word in court would hold up in that situation.

Anyway no worries i told a buddy i would clean and sync his carbs for 120$ and i just borrowed my friends welder. Ima weld the stokers back on and save up for a mac.

And Dave your right about America. I have made plans to leave a while back after I get my masters. Canada seems nice but too cold for my taste!

In my 2 cents is getting a ticket for excessive noise is bullshit,There so many things in the world that make excessive noise its unreal.What about all these cars that you can hear a half a block away with the ground rumbling going boom boom boom with super bass sound system.
Yeah true a very small percentage of harelys arent loud vs how many that are.Every one these bastards should get pulled over for excessive noise but yet the cops doing nothing about them.Hell come live in my city and see how loud the bikes are here.
All you guys telling Hishman shutup and payup your completely wrong in my opinion.
If it was me I would argue my case court based on the fact that noise ordances are being broken all the time but yet they are no enforced.Then you have hishman with his loud piupes and got a ticket for it.If the cops are going to be like this then they should be pulling every single person over thats breaking a noise ordance instead of singling out someone riding a 34 year old motorcycle.
Now heres a stupid ticket I got when i was younger that I got ecessive exhaust smoke!what the hell is that?Yeah i paid my tickets and went on but point in case both examples are bullshit.Thats just the way I feel.I personaly dont like loud exhaust to each their own.

In my 2 cents is getting a ticket for excessive noise is bullshit,There so many things in the world that make excessive noise its unreal.What about all these cars that you can hear a half a block away with the ground rumbling going boom boom boom with super bass sound system.
Yeah true a very small percentage of harelys arent loud vs how many that are.Every one these bastards should get pulled over for excessive noise but yet the cops doing nothing about them.Hell come live in my city and see how loud the bikes are here.
All you guys telling Hishman shutup and payup your completely wrong in my opinion.
If it was me I would argue my case court based on the fact that noise ordances are being broken all the time but yet they are no enforced.Then you have hishman with his loud piupes and got a ticket for it.If the cops are going to be like this then they should be pulling every single person over thats breaking a noise ordance instead of singling out someone riding a 34 year old motorcycle.
Now heres a stupid ticket I got when i was younger that I got ecessive exhaust smoke!what the hell is that?Yeah i paid my tickets and went on but point in case both examples are bullshit.Thats just the way I feel.I personaly dont like loud exhaust to each their own.
Not everyone speeding gets a speedingticket... so you should probably go to court for one of those as well? Not everyone gets caught or actually gets a ticket... Doesn't take away from the fact that loud exhausts are (i can only assume) illegal in lots of areas. For very good reasons too

Using Kingston is only helping him make his case.
He's got 4 months where the average daily high is higher than Kingston's one month with decent highs.
He has not a single month with an average daily high below freezing. Kingston has 3.
Not to mention the blinding snow off Lake O.
Brrrrr ... Kingston :wink2:

Actually our winters are better because of the lake. Except when it freezes over like it did this year. Sure made for a good snowmobile season though.

Back