First Time taking a bike apart to restore. Help me out!

domdom

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, you've been SUPER helpful on this site! Today, after church, I'm gonna start taking apart my bike (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5185) to restore it. I'd like to get down to the frame to re-paint and restore it. Then I'm going to bead blast the engine. I've got the general idea on where to start from having done maintenance on my bikes, but I'd LOVE some help!

Thanks

Also, do you think this seat would fit this frame?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250805862227#ht_1233wt_1164

get sandwich bags and label everything inc the wiring (use parcel tags for that). keep it modular and think about where your gonna store things.

restore stuff in modules so it doesn't overwhelm you and triple your time and budget if you have set one!

get an impact driver for those stubborn screws!

as for the seat, the measurements are there, so I assume your not restoring it then, but remoddeling it? you need to cut some of the chassis rails out at the back, measure twice cut once!

Awesome, thanks drewpy. I did the sandwich bag idea and organized them as best as I knew how. Just seeing it all laid out makes it more manageable and less overwhelming. I have come across the biggest obstacle thus far. I have a stripped engine bolt going into the left side of the clutch cover. I've tried easy outs and everything. That baby isn't moving. That's where I've stopped tonight. I'll post pics soon.

D

Hey Domdom, seized bolts are a fact of life. I've got a propane torch to heat those suckers up. That usually cracks the rust then use easy outs.

is it snapped within the engine casing or stripped the thread in the engine casing?

if it has snapped off, i'd weld a nut over the stud and the heat plus a better purchase will move it. Done it loads of times, even built it up as 1 snapped within the casing, the alloy stays intact for some reason.

Chris, thanks man. I might have to give that a try. Drewpy, the head is stripped. I've tried drilling in to get an easy out to stick, but can't seem to get a groove in the bolt. I'll keep you guys posted.

Dom

You should start soaking it with a penetrating lube, PB Blaster is awesome, so that when you do get an easy out to grip it will be easier to get loose. Is it an allen head bolt? Tapping it with a hammer will also help to jar loose the crud that has it frozen. If it's a recessed head put a punch on it so you don't bang up the cover. And the heat helps like the other fellas said. You gotta drill fairly to deep for those easy outs to grab. Good luck!

It is a recessed allen head bolt. I think I'll just keep drilling it down and soaking it to see if it catches. I think I'm gonna try some heat too. Thanks

It is a recessed allen head bolt. I think I'll just keep drilling it down and soaking it to see if it catches. I think I'm gonna try some heat too. Thanks

Find some left-hand thread drill bits,they not only drill out the bolt,but they create heat.I've used them with good results,and you have to drill a hole anyway,so if it breaks loose,so much the better. lha

Back