float pins stuck!?

rambojohnj15

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello I'm new here so I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not, but I recently bought an 81 XS 400 bobber that was already done and I recently bought 2 more to turn into bobbers myself. anyways I I'm currently taking my carbs apart because fuel was pouring into my air filters I took the Carbs off and started checking the carb float levels I'm trying to take the floats off so I can get to the float valve jet I think it is. and I can't seem to get the float pin out. both of them seem very tight in the holders if you would. And I'm not sure how to get them out without breaking anything which I definitely don't want to do. Has anybody else had this problem if so what did you do to fix it and get the pins out.any help would be much appreciated thank you

I just supported the opposite end of the two ears holding the float pin with a small socket, then used a small nail and VARY carefully tapped it out with small hammer.

Heat might help too, but like everyone else says go real slow and easy. Those posts break easier than you think. Normally it barely takes anything to get the pin out. To give you an idea I use a soft gripped screw-driver handle to tap mine out with a punch; it's only barely more than the weight of my hand in terms of how hard I am hitting.

Ok awesome thanks guys. Yeah I have tried tapping them out with a small punch but am def tapping them harder than u had to bcware. I'll try getting them out today and see how it goes

If you have them cleaned real good, and no gas residue what so ever. Then what I have done is take a micro torch and heated up the posts a little then lightly tap them out. Also what works great is one of the spring activated center punch.

Hey everyone I tried heating them up... No luck so I ended up drilling them out so far got one. Will start the other tomorrow.

Posted via Mobile

Did you soak them really well in carb cleaner to be sure they are not gummed up?
Mine were stuck too until I got all the resin softened up and then they tapped out easily.

The 360 carbs are a breeze to get the pins out compared to the xs400 ones. It seem the pins used in the 400's are tapered and a bit thicker so you have to use a bit of pressure to get them all the way in. Where the 360's are easy to slide back and forth. I use 360 pins in all my carbs now. The 360 pins are also the same ones used in the bs38 carbs used in the xs650.

Attachments

• DSC02369.jpg
    DSC02369.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 262
Your lucky then the few sets of dohc carbs I took apart all needed work to get them out.:banghead:

Back