Front brakes engaging too quickly

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I realize there's an adjustment screw on the brake lever and I plan on adjusting that.

I'm concerned that my brakes might be set too close to being engaged even when my hand is off the brake lever.

My reason for suspicion is that when I go to apply the front brake, outside of the fact that I've not adjusted the lever, it feels too "ready" to start braking. I'm not saying that the brakes are touchy or sensitive. I simply mean that the brakes feel as if they're too close to their friction point even when they're not engaged.

Another reason is that I hear a mild squeak while coasting, which could be one of a few things. Still, I'm targeting the front brake as a culprit that needs to be tended to anyhow.

How do I adjust the brakes opposite of the lever? I'll look in the manual but, again, the photos are trouble.

the adjust screw just increases or reduces the freeplay in the lever to engage the brake hydraulic system, the brake system needs clean fluid and needs to be clean inside itself, gunk in the master cylinder will not allow the brake to retract/work properly, the caliper pucks need to retract properly and the caliper needs to move free on its mounting points, brakes are one of the things you shouldn't screw with if you don't know what you are doing, a front wheel lockup is not something you want to experience, if you don't know what it needs to correctly fix it, it might be best to take it to a shop

All jayel said plus the fact that hydraulic disc brakes operate differently than mechanical drum brakes. The pads always ride VERY close to the rotor, just barely allowing enough clearance. Also, rotors are not always perfectly true and you might experience one or more areas of pads slightly touching the rotor in a 360 degree spin. Thus you might experience some very slight drag. A drum brake wheel will spin freely when off the ground but a disc brake wheel may not.

Thanks guys. I'll start by putting 'er on the stand and leaning back/forth for a neutral spin. After that, I'll adjust the free play in my lever. Then I'll adjust the free play in my motorcycle's brake lever LOL.

If I encounter any problems ... off to the shop for my own safety.

belive it or not, all disk brakes squeal!

Its just the frequency is so high we can't hear it, try putting a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads, this changes the frequency and equilibrium is restored!

Audible squealing can be normal depending on the pad type; especially performance pads. I have actually heard of people downgrading on cars and bikes because they feel too embarrassed on the street :laugh:

For the sake of saving face and as a reminder ... everyone knows that this is happening when my hand is OFF of the lever, right? This is happening while I'm free and rolling.

I'd pull apart the master cylinder and caliper and clean them both out and check the seals. Then add new fluid and bleed the brakes. There is probably just some gunk in there that is not allowing the piston to release all of the pressure off the pads. If something doesn't feel right, then something is probably wrong. Trust your gut on this one.. Rebuild the brakes.

I've read a bit on this and pretty much everyone says it's normal for there to be some "drag" while not braking. I couldn't find any compelling information to the contrary. Other than that people are recommending what Drewpy already suggested to reduce or eliminate the noise.

Last edited:
For the sake of saving face and as a reminder ... everyone knows that this is happening when my hand is OFF of the lever, right? This is happening while I'm free and rolling.

yes it does happen without applying the brakes. the pads touch lightly on the disk and harmonics do the rest! :D

All I'm saying is.. if you've ridden a few motorcycles and the brakes don't feel right on this one, it would be worth your time to pull them apart and check over everything. :twocents:

I might do that, Travis, when I find myself around some of my riding buddies who are more experienced with such a job. I appreciate your advice.

In addition to getting technical with a friend, I'm considering the whole "putting a smear of copper grease" deal. My question ... does that lower the brakes ability to ... BRAKE?

Also, applying it to the pad means tech work. Would it work to smear it onto the disc?

I'm considering the whole "putting a smear of copper grease" deal. My question ... does that lower the brakes ability to ... BRAKE?

The grease is applied to the backing plate of each pad - the side contacting the caliper/piston, not to the pad surface that contacts the rotor. If you applied it to the pad surface .......... We won't even go there! :doh:

Back