Clutch and front brake adjustment questions

TOM SCHANNE

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two issues/questions about my 81 special

1- my clutch engages too far out on the lever for my liking. It doesn't engage until almost fully out and I'd like for it to engage at about the halfway point. I adjusted it according to the manual and by instructions here, both at the lever and on the engine but it didn't change the engagement point. The bike has 9000 original miles on it and was babied previously if that helps.

2-Front brake feel. I completely rebuilt the front disc brakes, which had 30 year old dried up fluid from top to bottom. I did new master cylinder rebuild, new calibers and seals and fresh fluid. The problem is the brake feel, The brakes work good and it stops well, it's just when you pull the lever in rather than a nice progressive feel like in a car or any other bike I've had, I get about half way in on the lever then it's rock hard. Once again , it stops well it just doesn't feel right.

Any advice on both would be appreciated.

Tom

A braided stainless hose will help with brake feel but this setup will never "feel" like a cars vacuum boosted system. These clutches are like that even with all new parts. They engage at almost the end. It's a very simple wet clutch. Sorry but that is how it is.

You can remove a bit of free play in the clutch cable by shimming the cable where it enters the clutch case. I used an alignment dowel that I cut down, to fit in the well. Even 5-8mm makes a nice difference. It's best to grind both ends of the dowel so it stays a wee bit thicker.
download.jpg

Back