Front end wobble.

1lowdiesel

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I had a little front end shake when I was slowing down (15-20mph) and let off the bars so I figured I'd make a fork brace. Only problem now is that after taking it out for a test ride the wobble is even worse.

The forks are lowered and I put new fluid in not too long ago.

I don't know much about motorcycle front suspension so any help is appreciated.

Kyle

Any number of things can cause your problem.bad tire,tire out of balance.Loose fork bearings.

also tread pattern, to tight fork bearings, loose rear swingarm, rear wheel cocked to one side in swingarm... to end a speed wobble PUSH forward on both bars

I thought about the tire, I do have brand new ones I need to put on, but I figured I'd feel that just under normal riding conditions. Didn't know about the fork bearings though. With the brace now stiffening up the front end, it could now be showing the problem even more.

9BA2D8AC-176C-45FE-9EC2-9DB5CFB9B0EA-9390-00000D059C364BF4.jpg

I think I may have narrowed it down to the back tire. I'm gonna get it changed next week hopefully and see if that does the trick.

How far did you lower the front end? And how did you lower it (slide forks through triples, cut springs, get shorter forks...) Geometry changes can sometimes cause speed wobbles, and if you're okay mechanically, a steering damper can solve it.

I dropped the forks into the trees. I doubt it's that cause my other bike had the same drop and I didn't have this problem. Yea a damper is on my to do list anyway.

I had a front end wobbles and it turned out to be the rear tyre worn slightly flat.

all cured now

Back