front shoes for my '81

goor

first bike 81 XS400
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, actually, to forums in general. This is the first forum I have ever joined. I did so not just because I have an XS400 project with issues but because I was reading through the responses to others' questions and it seems like a really great group of people make up this community. Nobody giving newbs hell or any of that typical shit. Just really good, helpful responses about our common interest and that was refreshing for me. So, I joined....

Anyway, enough with the mushy stuff. I have one question to start, where can I find brake shoes for my 1981 XS400? I have looked all over and I can't find them. The wheel is a spoked 18" drum.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and XS400 ownership! Yes, ebay is a good source but, if in a hurry, you can get them through a Yamaha dealer for $30+. Most folks seem to like the EBC brand. That's what I and my son use on our XS400s. My son had a rear shoe break and lock up the rear wheel on his bike last year. No manufacturer's mark on the shoes. He replaced them with EBC shoes. Sure did put a scare in him!

welcome to the forum goor!

sintered pads were developed as a response to the asbestos being removed from the brake material. Obviously this does wear the metal drum/disk down.

Back