Gas tank Re-sealing a all ready sealed tank

Keenzo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Here my question can you seal an all ready sealed tank with out removing the old seal? I had to do some welding on my tank and now the seal is wrecked, obviously. I was thinking I could just re-seal over the old seal. But was told today I HAD to remove the old seal because the new seal wont stick to the old seal. is this true or not? can I get away with not removing the old seal

Like is sealing over the old seal in the tank with out removing the old seal like if you were to paint plastic with out prepping the plastic? yes paint sticks to the plastic but not very well.

Keenzo

Generally, stuff like Kreem will somewhat soften the previous goop with the new goop.
However, the problem is the tank prep stage.

If Kreen is what you have, put MEK in the tank, swish around, it should soften and remove most of the original coating. You may need to do this a few times. Do it outside, MEK will fry your brain. Then go through the whole prep/ seal thing again. Otherwise, you probably won't get a good bond.

If I don't remove the old seal, whats the worst that can happen? Can I just reseal the back of the tank where i have burn off the old seal from welding and not coat over the old stuff near the front of the tank? I don't even like this tank and have put more work into it this tank than I would like to.

It can leave a void behind the original sealant, which can rust. If you don't plan on keeping the tank, then don't bother. But have to ask: why ask?

Because plans have a nasty way of changing without your input, I'd fix it like it needed to last another five years. Then do whatever you need to do for the next step. But that's me. A good fix is far better and cheaper than cleaning the notoriously clog-prone carbs from even more debris than the ethanol problem causes.

I don't plan on keeping this tank to long. I found one not to far from me for $100 stored on a wall in a motorcycle shop so i'm going to look at that one and see how good the inside is might just be worth getting it.

Back