generator cover oil content

lifesource1

lifesource1
Reaction score
Have a 78 xs 400 acquired recently. Starts 1st kick and ran well.
Recently though has a strange phenomenon. Starts cold 1st kick, runs for 3-4 min than begins getting weaker and weaker then dies. Will not start or even fire. Let it cool off completely for 30 minutes to 1 hr, starts 1st kick then repeats slow die-out.
Replaced plugs,coils condensor, points to no avail.
Took off left cover to adjust valves and oil poured out , a lot ,essentially emptying the crankcase. I'm fairly certain that is not supposed to happen as the generator is under that cover.
Am I right and do I have to replace a seal in there?

Oww...

Lifesource1

Last edited:
If you have the bike on the center stand oil will not come out, if using the kick stand it is tilted enough that oil will run out. are you starting the bike with the choke (enricher)on. it almost sounds as if your running out of fuel. then taking awile to fill the bowls back up. welcome to the site i am sure someone within the community can help you figure it out.

Last edited:
oil will pour out of the genny cover if on side stand, handy to know if you accidentaly over filled it. that why it has a gasket on the cover.

you started right servicing the bike. I do think its the carbs, it took me years to find the best settings to get a decent tickover, try opening the pilot mix screw another 360' and see what happens. sometimes if these bikes stanfd for too long things get gunged up, a bit of Italian servicing helps clear the engine.

don't expect it to be perfect, these bikes are 30 years old and the shit that passes for fuel these days does not help!

oil will pour out of the genny cover if on side stand, handy to know if you accidentaly over filled it. that why it has a gasket on the cover.

you started right servicing the bike. I do think its the carbs, it took me years to find the best settings to get a decent tickover, try opening the pilot mix screw another 360' and see what happens. sometimes if these bikes stanfd for too long things get gunged up, a bit of Italian servicing helps clear the engine.

don't expect it to be perfect, these bikes are 30 years old and the shit that passes for fuel these days does not help!
Amen to that! I keep hoping we'll do away with the ethanol subsidies in this country, I'm getting tired of adding Sta-bil to every tankful.

Have a 78 xs 400 acquired recently. Starts 1st kick and ran well.
Recently though has a strange phenomenon. Starts cold 1st kick, runs for 3-4 min than begins getting weaker and weaker then dies. Will not start or even fire. Let it cool off completely for 30 minutes to 1 hr, starts 1st kick then repeats slow die-out.
Replaced plugs,coils condensor, points to no avail.
Took off left cover to adjust valves and oil poured out , a lot ,essentially emptying the crankcase. I'm fairly certain that is not supposed to happen as the generator is under that cover.
Am I right and do I have to replace a seal in there?

Oww...

Lifesource1

follow up; ground wire from previous owner (off battery) was about 20 gauge. As bike ran, wire heated up, turned to a resistor and reverse-shorted the ignition. Re=installed a 8 gauge wire at the ground, wala problem solved!
Still not certain about oil in generator compartment, just doesn't seem right although schematics show no seperation into the main part of the engine case.
Why the generator doesn't short out being soaked in oil is beyond me!
Thanx everybody,
Lifesource1

Hopefully this puts your mind at ease- from the factory service manual, p. 1279:

oil1.png

Now, why do you suppose step #1 is "Drain the crankcase oil."

Hopefully this puts your mind at ease- from the factory service manual, p. 1279:

oil1.png

Now, why do you suppose step #1 is "Drain the crankcase oil."

I know this is an old thread but on my xs400 I took the risk and took my generator off and did not get any oil leaking. I did have it on the center stand and I know the oil is at a full level because I just filled it the other day. Just wanted to add this note here for anyone that is considering trying to do it without draining the oil. This is for a 1980 xs400g as well so just noting that too.

Back