Going to paint rims. Need to replace anything before reinstall?

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am going to paint my rims, mount new rubber and add some dyna beads for balancing.
I've read somewhere that I may need to install new bearings when I am done.
Is that true? Is there anything else I will need to replace?
I want to make sure I have everything before I start so I can finish it up in a timely manner.

Thanks!

I am planning on doing my mags black (you're surprised i'm sure).
Any tips you guys have come across to get best results painting? It will be a rattle can job, but I want it to last and look good. Do I need to use a paint stripper? Or would a good clean, primer, paint and clear with sanding in-between work?

If you are just using rattle cans don't go ape shit. I painted mine last year with BBQ paint after a sandblasting and it stayed on for the year. Although any rattle can job will easily chip off, and just wait til you get some brake fluid on them. The reason I say not to go crazy with priming and sanding, is because you could do all that work, then go ride for a few miles and one rock chip ruins all the work. If you are going to go through all that, might as well just get proper 2k clear and have a nice thick protective layer on there. You can get it in a spray bomb these days for $20. One can did both my rims. You can spray it over your spray can black too, so long as you let the color coat dry a week(or throw them in the sun/oven).

Eastwood sells it, and you can get it from other places under the 'spray max' name.

Back