Got a little carried away - time to customize

If those are NGK caps, they have screw tips in them... you simply slide the wire through the boot and "screw" the cap back on.
The bike looks great with that tank btw:thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'm thinking of hiding the battery under the back of the tank, to raise it up and make it all a little more level. A small AGM would do the trick nicely...

I've been working steadily, but not updating - sorry for that. I know you're all perched on the edge of your seat.

Truth be told, for all the time I'm putting in, there isn't much to show for it. New chain (meh) measuring for new cables (haven't arrived yet, so meh) and messing with wiring (still not done, and we all know what a mass of wires look like.)

On the bright side, I've sorted out the look for the front of the bike (but it looks like hell because all the wires are hanging out, and the controls are disassembled while I wait for cables), and I've started on the seat pan (more on that later.)

However, I'm excited about this little arrival in the mail today:

wpid-2012-06-27-09.16.22.jpg

10 amp CTX and CTA fuses are tough to find around here, and the current fuse box is missing a cover. Found this in the interwebs, and will be hooking it up as soon as I have time, and can find my electrical solder. Waterproof, and just itching to get installed.

I just have one more thing to do with the electrical, and I'll then put everything together so I can post pictures so far. I just realized there are no shots with the engine and exhaust on...

I've been working steadily, but not updating - sorry for that. I know you're all perched on the edge of your seat.

Truth be told, for all the time I'm putting in, there isn't much to show for it. New chain (meh) measuring for new cables (haven't arrived yet, so meh) and messing with wiring (still not done, and we all know what a mass of wires look like.)...

What? No 17T for the front?

I put everything together today so I could measure the length of some new cables. I was going to build my own, but after futsing about for a month or so, destroying some perfectly good do-dads around the garage, and generally being a fire menace with the use of a torch, I decided that $35 from Motion Pro is a pretty good deal.

Everything was in bits, but I've reassembled. Right now, my get-er-on-the-road list of things to do is cables, battery box, seat, tail light. That would have me riding. My get-er-all-done-for-this-iteration includes getting my signals working, rewrapping the exhaust, and now that I look at these pictures, getting rid of my mouse-ears mirrors.

Here's what we have now:

wpid-2012-07-06-20.46.01.jpg

I love the stance, the colours, everything but those sticky-outy-ears!

wpid-2012-07-06-20.46.15.jpg

"Captain! They're huge!" Also, my speedo cable should probably be replaced, or tied away from the wheel so I don't grind through it.

wpid-2012-07-06-20.46.28.jpg

I like this shot because if you squint, you can ignore the mirrors and get an idea of what the bike could look like. I have a set of bar end mirrors that I might play with, but I'm not totally sold on the bar end look. I may try to find a nice under-bar mirror, or just go without. Well, maybe not without. I didn't need mirrors when I used to ride my Bandit 1200 because nothing ever passed me. On a 400, I get passed. Be nice to know when it's about to happen...

I'm making a list for iteration 3 of the bike, which will include things like raising the back of the tank and tucking a battery underneath it near the seat, to further flatten things out, maybe a lick of paint, an RFID ignition, and a Seca 6-speed (why not?)

In related news, the new baby comes in 1 month, 2 days.

... Right now, my get-er-on-the-road list of things to do is ... getting rid of my mouse-ears mirrors.

I love the stance, the colours, everything but those sticky-outy-ears! "Captain! They're huge!"
I like this shot because if you squint, you can ignore the mirrors ... I have a set of bar end mirrors that I might play with ...
Just a tad OCD about your own reflection, don't you think? I have solutions.

Get a couple of these
and mount the mouse ears to your crash bar when you install it.

Attachments

• Helmet Mounted Right Mouse Ear.jpg
    Helmet Mounted Right Mouse Ear.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Helmet Mounted Left Mouse Ear.JPG
    Helmet Mounted Left Mouse Ear.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 353
And... I'm out of time. The baby comes tomorrow, and I'm not done. I'm about 95% there, but that's not enough for a ride...

At least I figured out my mirror:

wpid-2012-08-06-14.22.52.jpg

Lessons learned:

1. Make a plan, and stick to it. I made a plan, but didn't stick to it. And now I'm out of time.
2. Make time every day, every week, every whatever to work on the bike, and don't let anything get in the way. I was off and on on this one, and should have made the time more often.
3. When you get stuck, keep at it. I got stuck on my signals. Finally got them working today, but that's after a couple of months of working on anything but, and not being particularly effective.

I'll still work at the bike, and maybe even get it up and running before the snow comes (after all, all that's left is mounts for the rear signals, covering the seat, and a battery box. That's how close I am.)

And... I'm out of time. The baby comes tomorrow, and I'm not done. I'm about 95% there, but that's not enough for a ride ...
Fear not Kemosahbe, it's not over 'till it's over.
My son didn't want to share a birthday with his mother and came out 5 days "late". I'm sure yours wants the bike finished. :thumbsup:

any progress on the moto?? I have a baby coming in Jan... it just dawned on me... shoot that's right in the middle of my build timeframe. haha.

Hope all went well with the little one! :thumbsup:

There has been some progress that I haven't written up yet. I've finished A seat (not THE seat - this is a temp seat to try to get me some riding time before the snows move in.) I figured out the blinkers (without an ep34 - I'll definitely write that one up.) And new cables from Motion Pro, custom sized to fit.

But just as I need time to build, I need time to write. Hard to find more than 4 minutes here and there. It isn't the new baby, it's the older one! Hard to convince a toddler that a sibling is a good idea...

Back