Got a XS400! Few questions...

JonathanB

XS400 Member
Reaction score
After a few weeks of searching i found my new project - a XS400 Special from 1982. The previous owner began on a Flat Tracker path and I'm going to continue along the same path. There's a bit that needs fixing before it will go through a swedish inspection, mostly easier stuff (the back wheel is 20 years old and mounted the wrong way) but while I'm at it i might as well change some stuff right away.

The exhaust has holes in it and I've got to get a new one. I've tried searching for some nice 2-1 systems, though the only one I've stumbled upon is the one from MAC. As far as i can figure out it uses a standard muffler? Are there any out there that I've missed? A long muffler will have to do for the inspection, but I'd personally like a really short one ending with the engine (sacrilege?) .

I've also tried searching for spoked wheels that fit my bike. The XS250 and some others bikes seem to have fitting wheels, but i have a drum brake at the rear and disc at the front and just want to make sure i get something that actually fits. Any suggestions? Right now i have 120/90-16 in the back and 90/90-18 in the front (not sure if that matters).

I must say I really like forums such as this, great knowledge and experience just a few clicks away. Enjoyed reading/watching a lot of posted builds.:thumbsup: I'm sure I'll need your guys help further in the future :bike:

After a few weeks of searching i found my new project - a XS400 Special from 1982. The previous owner began on a Flat Tracker path and I'm going to continue along the same path.

the path is quite long
beginnings.jpg

I've also tried searching for spoked wheels that fit my bike. The XS250 and some others bikes seem to have fitting wheels, but i have a drum brake at the rear and disc at the front and just want to make sure i get something that actually fits. Any suggestions? Right now i have 120/90-16 in the back and 90/90-18 in the front (not sure if that matters).

probably the biggest tyres you can fit with existing swing arm. I have a xs250 rear disk hub, they are rare and the RD guys buy them up too

welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I got a bit unsure about to what I'd actually bought and didn't entirely trust the registration papers, so i double checked and through the fram reg made sure i actually had a XS400 SE '82 on my hands. But I'm having trouble finding a service manual that I'm confident is right - anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Does the tachometer get it's information through the electring wiring or out of a wire that's suppose to be fitted in the same way as the speedometer? Cause if it's through a wire just as the speedometer I'm missing that...

Any suggestions on where i can get breaker points?

If your bike is SOHC use an SOHC manual; it won't matter which year you have; there are a few differences, but not a lot. If you need to know your model year get the vin number off the engine and build date/vin off the neck of the steering head. If you plan to do some real customization and fabrication it becomes more important to know exactly what year you have. For general maintenance it isn't too important. Just ask on here before you buy something if you need to be sure!

The tacho is manually driven by a spinning cable that connects to the head of the engine on the valve cover; it's a small hole above the exhaust ports right next to the main head-stay on the right side of the engine (if you're sitting on the motorcycle).

Breaker points and condensers can be bought on ebay. I got mine as a package. I'd recommend replacing everything for reliability, but I'm a bit crazy.

If you have breaker points you don't have an '82. I'm pretty sure they went to electronic ignition by that year! You may have a replacement engine in an '82 SE frame though, but to switch back to points ignition would require a new harness or a decent amount of modification to the original one. I don't think this is likely, but it is possible. What seems more likely to me is that you have an earlier model.

If your bike is SOHC use an SOHC manual; it won't matter which year you have; there are a few differences, but not a lot. If you need to know your model year get the vin number off the engine and build date/vin off the neck of the steering head. If you plan to do some real customization and fabrication it becomes more important to know exactly what year you have. For general maintenance it isn't too important. Just ask on here before you buy something if you need to be sure!

Okay, thanks! Thought i had gotten my hand on a service manual for the '82 SE, but it didn't look the same. When I'm checking eBay alot of stuff is categorised into "82-84 DOHC", is the SE one of the bikes that didn't get a new motor with DOHC?

The tacho is manually driven by a spinning cable that connects to the head of the engine on the valve cover; it's a small hole above the exhaust ports right next to the main head-stay on the right side of the engine (if you're sitting on the motorcycle).

Well, that's another thing i better get my hands on then :D

Breaker points and condensers can be bought on ebay. I got mine as a package. I'd recommend replacing everything for reliability, but I'm a bit crazy.

If you have breaker points you don't have an '82. I'm pretty sure they went to electronic ignition by that year! You may have a replacement engine in an '82 SE frame though, but to switch back to points ignition would require a new harness or a decent amount of modification to the original one. I don't think this is likely, but it is possible. What seems more likely to me is that you have an earlier model.

I'm a bit crazy too :thumbsup: Hehe, i just assumed it had breaker points. Pretty sure it's not a replacement engine.

If your avatar photo is your actual bike you have an SOHC, not a DOHC. DOHC parts will not work/fit. There is some overlap in years (82 had both sohc and dohc models being made so be careful!). More photos of your motorcycle would help us the most! If you take a photo of the left side of your engine (left while sitting on the motorcycle) I can tell you if you have points or not.

It's amazing how good I am at taking pictures of the bike from the right side, but so terrible at taking them from the left. I'm pretty certain it's not a DOHC. But I'll get back with pictures (just got out of the basement garage and can't return atm).

But regarding tachometer, is this where the hole should be? (Yeah... I tryed opening it up with a screwdriver.)

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 384
There is a Philips head screw just off to the side of that spot. That is where the cable will be released. Looks like that someone has plugged the hole where the cable goes in:confused:

This is how it should look.

Attachments

• DSC02361.jpg
    DSC02361.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 331
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the PO didn't use the tacho and just plugged the hole for some reason. Probably just some glue or something in the way. But thanks, now i know what to fix!

Here's one from the left side.

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 363
Speaking of tachos (i get hungry every time i use that word), any tips on nice aftermarket instruments that are easy to match to the existing fitting?

You will need the stock cable and place to plug it in even if you use a aftermarket tach.

One of the things you should know about your bike. I think the 82 sohc non-u.s. xs400 uses a different air box than any other sohc xs400.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the PO didn't use the tacho and just plugged the hole for some reason. Probably just some glue or something in the way. But thanks, now i know what to fix!

Here's one from the left side.

Yeah, you're SOHC and you do not have points. Consider yourself lucky because now you don't have to mess with the timing.

I'd open up that smooth cover on the top of the engine on the left side anyway. It looks like someone has already opened the cover. I believe the later models came with blind plugs to keep that cover closed.

Looking at the engine that is a points cover. The ones with a TCI pickup is shaped different. Also the 82 sohc engine is painted black from the factory. What is the number stamped into the case on the engine?

The point covers are much thinner that the tci ones and the right side bolt hole is also larger. There are three covers, smooth point, finned point and tci pickup cover.

Attachments

• DSC02366.jpg
    DSC02366.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC02367.jpg
    DSC02367.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 356
Back