Got a XS400! Few questions...

The point covers are much thinner that the tci ones and the right side bolt hole is also larger. There are three covers, smooth point, finned point and tci pickup cover.

Show off! :laugh:

Ah, so it does have points then?

The number is 4G5-015780.

Yes, you do have points. Mr. Chris teaches me more about the subtleties between different SOHC model practically daily. This is why it's good to ask questions on here! :thumbsup:

Wild guess - these are the breakers?

Any reason someone would want to convert a SOHC with TCI back to breakers?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 304
Points are cheaper than a TCI box. But here in the U.S. there are still a lot of them around and they can be rebuilt. It may have been easier for the previous owner the go back to points.

That seat is the later plastic one and will work on your bike. The owner says it's off a 79 he must be looking at the build date and not the model. The pre-80 bikes used a metal seat pan on hinges.

I have two of them. One I restored from a p.o.s and I still have it after 15yrs. Rebuilt dozens of sets of carbs, torn down seven engines, bought out all the used parts from a local yamaha dealer, have bought about 400 items off ebay over the last eight years and have sold lots and lots of parts here on the forum:laugh: You tend to learn a few things:bike: A lot of things can be learned from this forum ( the german one as well) and the factory manual.

Well that about explains it! Nice keeping a bike for that long, hoping this one will become similar for me.

I'm really into spoked wheels (like the rest of the world) and I've been in searching the bay. Seems like the rare XS250 hubs will be required if you just wanna put on a pair of spoked wheels, but could you do something with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/81-Yamaha...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4859ac3639

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/81-Yamaha...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f293a265a

I'm guessing the back would work since i have a drum brake hub, but the front?

Looking forward to having my parts rolling in and giving the engine some proper loving. :bike:

The rear should be ok but the front will be an issue. You will need to have the complete drum assembly and the lower fork for the brake plate to make it fit. Your speedo cable is also different for the drum compared to disc.

You can try and find a xs360 front spoke wheel with disc. I don't have a build thread and work I have done was posted in the what I have done with my xs today thread.

Not sure about the rear but I have a 75 RD250 front wheel on my 80 xs400. I had to use the RD's axle and spacers/speedo gear to get it to fit. Also had to have the axle turned down to fit the xs400's fork lowers.

Long time, but lots of seeing has been done.

So i've done loads of work on my XS and worked out problems. The other day i switched the breaker points and the engine sounded like brand new, went great!

Though the recent 2-3 times after that when i have fired her up shes gone great on the right cylinder, but the left keeps misfiring. Any thoughts - is it simply the breaker points needing adjusting?

Happy easter!

Did you replace the condenser also? It is good to do that when putting in new points. A missing piston could be a lot of things. Dirty or out of adjustment carbs, valves or timing out:shrug:

Seemed to be simply adjusting the points - quick answer from my part, hehe.

I've been searching to forum on front end swaps. But haven't really found any answers and thought i'd try here. My front fork is absolutely wasted, it's both terrible and hilarious to ride.

Is there a front end that fits straight on (like the aprilia RS125) but has double disc and a spoked wheel? Front disc isn't a must, but would be preferable - what I'm looking for is a fork upgrade and spoked wheel.

Thanks!

Back