Gun Thread

I have a gun or few, but there is absolutely zero need for auto or semi-auto assault rifles.
There is zero need for motorcycles. Yet, you have one. There is zero need for a car with more than four cylinders that can go faster than 60mph. Yet, there they are, all over the place. The world where you only have things you need is a rather drab place.

You should also speak for yourself rather than presuming to speak for everyone. If you don't need one, that does not at all mean that nobody needs one.

Now that we're done with the silly "need" stuff, here are a couple of facts:

1. There is no such thing as a "semi-auto assault rifle". Assault rifles are select-fire by definition. There are guns that look like assault rifles, but function same as any other semi-auto.

2. Select-fire and full-auto firearms are tightly regulated. Since the Prohibition they have been used in crime twice, one of which was a murder committed by a police officer.

Some people claim these are for "hunting". If you can't hit a deer in the first shot, you need more practice.
There is more to hunting than just deer. AR-style rifles are not typically used for deer, but are widely used for varminting and pest control.

Yes, they are fricking fun.
That I can agree with.

But these crazy people can get ahold of them and lay waste to lots of innocent people. There would be many less dead in Aurora, CO if Joe Crazy had a much harder time getting his hands on them.
Actually, they don't. Semi-auto rifles figure in a very small percentage of widely publicized shootings.

Some of the bloodiest mass murders have been committed with no guns at all. Korea has strict gun control. Yet, a nutcase killed 198 (that's one hundred ninety eight) and injured 147 people with nothing more than two milk cartons full of gasoline. It's known as the Daegu Subway Fire.

What do you think the death toll would have been if this guy chained the doors, sprayed the theater with gas and set it on fire?

As for home and family protection, 5 rounds out of a .38 would take care of 5 invaders in my home in 5 seconds, though that will never happen.
You are awfully confident in your marksmanship under stress. Try shooting under mild stress, such as a timer. Your confidence might suffer.

Also, I somehow doubt that if the Korean shopkeepers during the LA riots were armed with 5-shot revolvers rather than AR rifles their shops would have fared quite aswell as they did.

My guns were all inherited from my father. Otherwise, I'd have none.
In other words, you don't have any interest in the matter. Why do you make such weighty pronouncements? You are probably lucky to live someplace safe. Not everybody is lucky that way. There are people that, for instance, deliver pizza in the inner cities for a living.

I'm completely for permitted concealed carry. These are the guys that could stop a Joe Crazy before he could kill many.
And on several occasions, they have. Appalachian School of Law, New Life Church, to name a couple.

As far as the "You cain't take away my freedom!" set, there are speed limits and stop signs and laws of all kinds everywhere you look.
You say that like it's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think traffic rules are bad. I do think control of everything for the sake of control is simply awful. Many of these "laws of all kinds" are just senseless.

If cars had been invented when the Constitution was written, there would be a "freedom of speed" amendment. But the cars then would be about as advanced as the firearms were then (like semi portable single-shot, takes 2 minutes to reload...), and would probably max out at about 15mph, which couldn't really do all that much damage going as fast as they could. But cars got faster and laws were needed. Guns got faster and laws are needed.
There was no Internet when the Constitution was written, either. Does freedom of speech only apply to spoken word and writing with a quill?

Those are some good points, especially the one in reference to spraying gasoline. Crazy people will do crazy things, with whatever the have access to.

Do you really think controlling guns is "control for the sake of control" though?

I have hijacked (shoot me). We should start a gun control debate thread.

On with the pics of your guns.

Crazy people will do crazy things, with whatever the have access to.
Exactly. Why, just last week some nutcase in China (another place with strict gun control) stabbed 8 people with a kitchen knife.

Do you really think controlling guns is "control for the sake of control" though?
Well, most proponents of gun control start with the assumption that it's a good thing and work towards how to do it. Almost none of them start with what it is they want to achieve besides controlling guns.

The thing is, gun control is not the solution to most problems that it's supposed to remedy.

If the thing you are concerned about is nutcases, what you need is a better mental health system. You need something that will get those guys noticed, and either treated or isolated before they fly off the handle completely. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get somebody into a hospital if they aren't a "clear danger to self or others"? In essence, if the guy isn't running around knife in hand and actively stabbing and/or bleeding, it's almost impossible. All you can do is try to convince him to go check himself in voluntarily. There are historical reasons for this, it's a backswing of the pendulum. For the other end see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

If you are concerned about crime, you need a police force that concentrates on community policing and at least tries to remember Sir Robert Peel. Police forces these days are more concerned with drug busts and preparing for some hypothetical terrorist invasion. Every jerkwater town has a SWAT team now, which eats up the resources that could be used to actually keep the peace.

And so on, and so on...

All of these things need a lot of work, thought, and sometimes money. Politicians don't like to expend any of those things unless there is a direct benefit to them personally, so they prefer gun control, which is an easy way for them to appear to be "doing something" in response to the latest news story.

Well said JP!!! I never thought i'd see someone from TN talking down on guns lol.

I actually hunt deer with my AR. Matter of fact i bought an upper just to use for deer .458 Socom. I come from a state (NJ) where gun laws are so strict it's rediculous. You have to wait almost a year to get a permit just to buy a BB gun and even longer to own a handgun. And you know what, crime in NJ is out of control. Between car jackings, home invasions and just normal ol' robberies. Now i live in Indiana. A place where after only living here a few months allowed me to get a carry permit, plus i can go to my local walmart and in a few minutes buy a gun. Crime here is slim to none b/c criminals know people are allowed to carry. Hopefully the law gets passed that will make other states accept carry permits from their home state.

1.Norinco SKS
2.Mosin Nagant m91/30 (izhvesk arsenal 1942)
3.VZ 24 (8mm mauser 1938)
4.HR Pardner 410
5.FEG PA-63 with slight mods (11 lb hammer spring, 21lb makarov recoil spring)
6.Mossberg 100 ATR (.270 win)
7.Hi-Point 995 (older model)
8. Savage MK II (.22 LR with Tasco 3-9x40 scope)
9. Marlin 989 M2 (in the shop)
a small collection of everything but i love them

Bump this back up.

Anybody try and buy any .223 ammo recently? Seems that everyone is sold out and is on forever back order. Walmart said that they have even refused some.

Bump this back up.

Anybody try and buy any .223 ammo recently? Seems that everyone is sold out and is on forever back order. Walmart said that they have even refused some.

Panic buying. Every time some killing makes the news people try to buy up "evil stuff" because they think it might get banned.

I honestly think that this time something will happen. Whether its a magazine ban or assault rifles, Unfortunatley something will happen.

They will ban a gun cause some lunitic went off and killed a bunch of people.What how many drunk drivers that people kill?Will the ban the car or alcohol?Probaly not!

You seem to be applying logic. Toss it out the window and gun control will start making sense.

On the other hand, I do remember reading about UK having "an epidemic of knife crime" and then some guy trying to market a "stab-proof knife". Also, UK had some talk of banning glass beer mugs from pubs because of too many people got hit with them in fights. Don't really know where that went.

Back