Headlight / Turnsignal Brands and Advice

Razerhawk

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys! Just bought my first bike (1979 XS400) and it's missing it's stock headlight. What it has on there works, but I'd like to put the stock headlight and turnsignals back on there. From looking online, it seems like there are a lot of chinese knock off headlight domes and mounts, have any of you guys had any experience or advice on getting a quality set of light replacmenets?

Here's a picture of the bike if you're interested. Thanks in advance for the help! :D

Attachments

• 20150509_195531.jpg
    20150509_195531.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20150509_195546.jpg
    20150509_195546.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 197
I don't have a ton of help here, but I've been hunting for a good headlight as well.

Stock sealed beams are easy to come by and pretty cheap. If you are looking to upgrade to an H4 bulb it gets a bit more tricky. Also depending on the size of the headlight you want and if you are planning on concealing the wiring in the bucket.

I have 2 stock sealed beam headlights. I refuse to give them away, and certainly won't accept money for them. They are utter crap. An H4 headlight (motorcycle specific) and a good quality halogen bulb are the minimum, in my opinion, for safe riding. HID and LED conversions have come a long way in the past couple years. They are worth checking out.

I have an HID H4 Projector Lens Headlight with a bucket set-up from DCC.

The HID is from ebay/china one of the many listed there. It works, took a bit of work to get it all together (definitely would have been easier if i had some patience).

Hardest part was removing the glass lens from the bucket (a lot of silicone scraping).

BUT for anyone thinking of getting this, also order replacement bulbs from the same seller. the bulbs are cheap, but take forever to arrive. Each bulb normally last about a year.

I was hesitant on ordering this because it was of ebay/chinese quality, but for the price it's really not bad at all. Super bright, works with my tiny battery.

Back